Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Tick Diagnosis

Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tick Diagnosis

I've exhausted resources trying to diagnose this engine tick. Two different dealers say it's not an issue, but I call bullshit. None of my friend's JK's have this noise, and it wasn't there 3 months ago.

HERE ARE THE FACTS:
- The tick is coming from the oil pump/ lower timing chain area
- It is ONLY audible while engine is warm and at idle
- When engine is at higher RPM than idle the tick goes away
- This engine is a new replacement and has 11,000 miles with 1,000 left on warranty
-Oil Pump was replaced 10 months ago

TROUBLESHOOTING I'VE TRIED WITH NO IMPROVEMENT:
-5W20, 5W30 Oil, both Syn and Dino, Lucas Oil Additive
-Removed Oil Pan and found nothing loose, no metal shavings
-With a Mechanic's stethoscope I can only narrow it to the lower timing chain/ oil pump area.

I called Chrysler and explained the issue already. They said a Dealer would have to find a problem before they'd help me. Well, the dealers say it's fine so here I am. Would you be satisfied?

Why does my engine purr like a kitten when cold and sound like an old diesel when warm? Why doesn't thicker oil improve it? What could make this irregular tick?

Thank you for any suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzO2nP5VTTw
Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The dealer says there is no problem with that?

That sounds about the right frequency for an individual piston/rod to see a power stroke at idle.

It's also is about the right frequency for an individual lifter to see a cam lobe at idle.

I would look for a problem in those two areas first.

Have you checked the oil pressure with a gauge?

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Nope, my engine doesn't do that. I would go to a different dealer or ask the dealer to let you crank a few JK's on the lot to prove that it's normal.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
kik
JK Freak

I would agree that it's probably the lifter(s) tapping. Was this a Chrysler crate engine that was installed by the dealer under warranty? And if it was, there was a problem where the oil pump had to be replaced already on a "new" engine? Or, is this a remanufactured engine? Did you purchase it with this engine or was there obviously a problem with the original engine after you bought it and the dealer was authorized by Chrysler to replace it? If it persists they should be replacing the lifters I would say. It shouldn't be making that type of noise with only 11,000 on it.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The dealer says there is no problem with that?

That sounds about the right frequency for an individual piston/rod to see a power stroke at idle.

It's also is about the right frequency for an individual lifter to see a cam lobe at idle.

I would look for a problem in those two areas first.

Have you checked the oil pressure with a gauge?
The oil pressure was checked by dealer #2 at my request and was good. Would damaged cam lobes be heard from the lower front of the engine?

Originally Posted by kik
I would agree that it's probably the lifter(s) tapping. Was this a Chrysler crate engine that was installed by the dealer under warranty? And if it was, there was a problem where the oil pump had to be replaced already on a "new" engine? Or, is this a remanufactured engine? Did you purchase it with this engine or was there obviously a problem with the original engine after you bought it and the dealer was authorized by Chrysler to replace it? If it persists they should be replacing the lifters I would say. It shouldn't be making that type of noise with only 11,000 on it.
This was a new engine block and heads warrantied by Chrysler for a spun bearing and heat damage. Everything else is original except the oil pump replacement 1 month before the engine. Lifter tapping is out due to the location of the noise near the oil pump.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by meatsandwich
The oil pressure was checked by dealer #2 at my request and was good. Would damaged cam lobes be heard from the lower front of the engine?

This was a new engine block and heads warrantied by Chrysler for a spun bearing and heat damage. Everything else is original except the oil pump replacement 1 month before the engine. Lifter tapping is out due to the location of the noise near the oil pump.
Noises can travel and sound like it's coming from a different location.

I suggested valve train or piston/rod as the source due to the frequency of the ticking. It is approximately once every two crank revolutions, which is exactly the frequency for valve trail loading and piston/rod loading.

If the tick is actually coming from where you hear it, I suppose it could be a timing chain or cam sprocket issue.
The oil pump turns at the same rate as the crankshaft, so it would most likely make noise at twice the rate you are hearing.

These are just ideas, since you will probably not be doing the troubleshooting while it's still under warranty.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any update on your engine ticking noise problem?

Mabar
Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mabar
Any update on your engine ticking noise problem?

Mabar
According to his comment posted underneath the video 1 month ago, the issue was solved by replacing the timing chain.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
According to his comment posted underneath the video 1 month ago, the issue was solved by replacing the timing chain.
I don't see anywhere on this thread, where the OP said he replaced the timing chain, and that took care of the problem.

What am I missing?

Mabar
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mabar
I don't see anywhere on this thread, where the OP said he replaced the timing chain, and that took care of the problem.

What am I missing?

Mabar
On his original post, underneath the picture of the motor, there's a link to the Youtube video; click on it and you go to the video where he films the motor at idle and moves the camera underneath the Jeep so you can hear the ticking sound. I missed it too at first until I read replies to his post that refered in detail to the actual sound the Jeep was making, so I went back to see if he'd included an audio or video link & sure enough, there it was. He added a comment underneath the Youtube video to the effect that replacing the timing chain resolved the issue.

Looks like the chain stretched and possibly jumped a cog on the camshaft.

Last edited by JKlad; 04-12-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Tick Diagnosis