Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Tick

Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tick

At around 2200 RPM I get a tick in the engine, has anyone had this issue and if so what advise do you have for me??
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

I get the same thing in mine. Dealership said it was normal (full of shit) and they said it's probably because I'm using crap gas. And I should use premium. It does go away. My buddy is a mechanic and he said that it is pre-ignite something something. Lol I found a way to fix it.. Turn the radio up!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am going to take it to the dealer that I bought it from this week. I am good friends with the service manager there and I am sure that he will be straight with me. Just want to get some help from others so I can compare answers.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by dadof2girls
I am going to take it to the dealer that I bought it from this week. I am good friends with the service manager there and I am sure that he will be straight with me. Just want to get some help from others so I can compare answers.
Do you change your own oil ? Whay brand ? Weight ? Synthetic ? How often do you change the oil ? What brand of oil filter?

SLIM

Last edited by SLIM_SNOOPY; 07-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ticks are usually exhaust leaks.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by Lilahs Jeep
Ticks are usually exhaust leaks.
True, But ,,,,,,Cheap oil can contribute to the situation , I never had a EFI Engine that did not tick at times. Even my Ram Truck with the HEMI Ticks, Seems to be a associated with todays engines. Quality oil can help dampen the sound , especially a quailty syntehtic oil.

SLIM
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine has done it since day one... Its an 07 with 52k miles on it now. still runs good and still has a tick starting at the same rpm as you. I had it in the dealership a couple times for it and am pretty good friends with the tech who works on it. he said that a lot of them do it.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I am using Royal Purple oil, recomended weight which is the 5/30. One dealer told me to go to 10/30 and replace one quart with lucas oil treatmend and maybe it will clean the valves and clear it up. If it is still bothering me and does not go away, I may need a valve job. I do change my own oil and at intervals of 3000-3500 and a K&N oil filter.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default ticking to thudding

I had this same tick ........ i drove it for quit some time, then the other day my wife was driving the jeep when it suddenly lost power steering and the brakes. she stoped the jeep and turned it off.

When she went to restart she turned the key and nothing ....but then suddenly it started on its own. when it did start now it has a thud instead of a tick! i have yet to take it apart but i will keep you posted to what i find.

if anyone has input please send it my way i am losing my mind over this matter.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same tick around that rpm too. I have 44k on my 08 Sahara. It soulds like the lifters. Anyone know if they are adjustable and what the clearace might be?

I'm using 5 quarts 5w-20 Valvoline Maxlife and 1 qt Lucas stabilizer. (found it was 2.5 quarts low and had 2k on the oil change!)

Quick Reply: Engine Tick