Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine symbol

Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine symbol

Have a 2013 JK and on a recent trip back from Arizona I had my fuel warning light come on, the gas gauge dropped to empty, and the computer incident symbol came on. No flashing, just steady for the next 300 miles. My gauge began working again after about 5 minutes, ans the next dar the engine symbol went off. Dealer checked and could find nothing wrong, no loose wires,etc.
It has been about three weeks and on my way home tonight the engine symbol came on again, and is still on. Everything runs fine, but with an upcoming trip to Arizona in a week leaves me feeling rather vulnerable. Anyone had any similar experience . Dealer wants me to bring it in again on Thursday.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the ground wire on your battery. Had something similar a few years back. Quickest way to tell is when it's acting up one of the hood and give the battery cables a shake. If the problem stops....

Hope this helps
Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 AM
JK Freak

Mine did this the first week I had it. Fuel light came on fuel gauge fell to empty, and the check engine light came on. I don't remember the code, it was over voltage in the sending system. The dealer dropped the tank, and unplugged everything. They plugged it back in, and reinstalled the tank. I haven had a problem with it since. Although the dealer didn't erase the code from the memory. I erased it when I got home with my scanner just to make sure if it came back the check engine light would come back on.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The "Engine symbol" you'll hear referred to as the Check Engine Light (CEL) or sometimes a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).

If just the CEL is lit and everything else is fine, it's pretty tough to tell what it could be. Many of us curious types carry around a code reader so we can get the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) from the computer which tells you about the issue more specifically.

If it's under warranty, just throw the keys at the dealer. We had a CEL on our 2013 JK, turned out to be an issue with an oil pressure sensor and something else. The dealer replaced the oil pump and everything has been fine since.

GOod luck. Let us know what they find.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, took it to the dealer and they replaced the oil pressure sending unit and reset the CEL. Hoping this was the real deal as I am leaving for Arizona next week and don't need any issues. Thanks to all who responded to my post. I brought this up to the dealer and he got pissed, and said JK a Forum was all bogus. I explained it could only help them in their diagnosis, and that was the wrong thing to say. Thanks again to all of you who helped me.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teancum
Well, took it to the dealer and they replaced the oil pressure sending unit and reset the CEL. Hoping this was the real deal as I am leaving for Arizona next week and don't need any issues. Thanks to all who responded to my post. I brought this up to the dealer and he got pissed, and said JK a Forum was all bogus. I explained it could only help them in their diagnosis, and that was the wrong thing to say. Thanks again to all of you who helped me.
Dealers are just people, crappy people but just people. Most likely your code would have self corrected and probably had something to do with the fuel cap not being on tight enough (or at all). The reason I stopped being an auto mechanic in 1996 was because of the requirement for all vehicles to have an onboard computer after that time (hindsight it was a silly reason since computers can actually be very helpful with maintenance and repair). When I told the dealership I didn't want any of their warranties because I planned from the get go to upgrade things as they fail they were very condescending. Long after any warranty would have expired I'm still waiting...point is, they don't like being told how to do their job. As far as they see it, they know more than you otherwise you would have built the vehicle yourself. I wouldn't care much what they say, they are nothing more than the sales department for a larger brand and things do go wrong and when they do (whether actual or perceived) it's their job to make it right. I tell the dealership each time I have bought a vehicle it's their job to keep my cup filled even after I have paid off the vehicle (which I prefer doing as fast as possible, so I can easily afford parts if/when things need to be repaired/replaced). Most dealerships I have purchased from I have gotten to know the owners (something about not liking to be pushed around quickly comes to their attention and they call me, I have never seeked them out). Just remember they aren't doing you any favors, you are the customer!

Last edited by CombatDiver; 06-13-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine symbol