Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine swap checklist

Old 08-30-2021, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine swap checklist

I am having my engine replaced in a 2013 JK 3.8L. My question is; is there anything else I should replace while doing the engine? ie. water pump, oil cooler, etc. I am having it done professionally and not doing it myself and will take their recommendations, but looking for anything to keep my Jeep running long term.

The following users liked this post:
h60taxidriver (11-07-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by trcmag
I am having my engine replaced in a 2013 JK 3.8L.
Typo and you mean 3.6L in your '13? Guessing so. If you have the original WP, I don't think it would be a bad idea for an extra $80 or so to put a new one on the new motor. On that 3.6L if you have to replace the WP, the alternator comes off and unless you have the radiator out, it's a little tight working in there getting to the WP, so decent preventative maintenance. I swapped WP on my '13 about a year ago when I was installing a new radiator. I was a little surprised the inside of my gasket looked like this -

The following users liked this post:
trcmag (09-02-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine quit, having to replace. Do you have a break down on what was done? Want to pre-buy parts. Unfortunately, unable to convert to V8, just don’t have the time. If able, please share items that added cost so I can start. Thank you
Old 11-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

Engine Replaced? Is this a rebuild on your old unit or a drop in new one? I would definitely check the oil cooler and do what Resharp suggests for the WP. PS pump, alt and AC pump are all bolt on and I would suspect you are reusing those 3.

Quick Reply: Engine swap checklist