Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine starts, but shakes and won't rev

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine starts, but shakes and won't rev

Alright ladies and gents. My wife (in TX) is having some issues with her 2007 JK (~80k on engine, no mods). I have been called to active duty from reserves and am TDY at Fort Benning for a few more weeks. I have searched a bit on here but haven't had any luck so I thought I'd check here. All of this is being relayed to me over the phone so I am just relaying that same information.

She was using her headlights to illuminate a campground and ran the battery dead. Friend jumped the battery off and let it run for a few minutes. Immediately the engine started shaking and the exhaust made some sort of repeated popping noise. When she attempted to rev the engine there was not much response. The shudder was steadied briefly but when she let off the pedal the shaking got even worse.

The friend that is there is thinking it might be some sort of electrical problem but I haven't a clue. Oil level is good, no leaks.

We do have AAA and will have it towed to the local dealership tomorrow if we cannot figure it out before then.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Just guessing, but I'd suspect the computer has the timing off due to the dead battery. First thing I'd do is charge the battery fully, then disconnect the ground on the battery for 20-30 mins and then try it again.
I'm probably completely wrong, but can't hurt - that's what I'd do first.
Surely someone in the area can go help a solders family!!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, timing seems like it would make sense. The battery is disconnected right now and they'll try again in a few. Will update with those results when I have them.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the classic low battery voltage issue. As posted above, charging the battery and resetting the computer should fix it. If the battery is original it might be time to replace it.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

So did you figure out the problem?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Just spoke with her again. They disconnected the battery for 45 minutes and no change upon reconnecting. The battery was removed again and had jumper cable connected directly to the battery terminals. Started right up and is running fine now with the original battery back in place. The battery is a Duralast Gold and is ~2 yrs old.

Just glad it's up and running again! Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Engine starts, but shakes and won't rev