Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine rpms slow to drop when shifting

Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rpms slow to drop when shifting

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 2012 jkur. It was a big change from driving trucks for years but but so far I'm loving it! I have a question regarding engine rpms while shifting. Every time I depresse the clutch to change gears the rpms "hang" for a moment before they slowly drop. I know its all to do with the Drive by wire system I just feel like I'm going to kill my clutch in no time if I let the clutch out to soon. I've tried to research this lots already but I was not able to find any conclusive results. I've read that the transmission in the 2012's needs to be shifted slowly to compensate for the slow drop in rpms and it shifts fine if i just wait to let the clutch back out, but I was wondering if I could make adjustments to how fast the engine idles down between shifts with a tuner like the aev procal or any other tuner out there? I've only ever owned trucks with manual transmission however this is the first dbw vehicle I've owned and all the computer controlled crap is very different than I'm used to. Making slow shifts isn't really a problem it's just different from what I'm used to and if there's a way to make it the way I'm used to it would be that much better.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -spilly
Hello everyone. I recently bought a 2012 jkur. It was a big change from driving trucks for years but but so far I'm loving it! I have a question regarding engine rpms while shifting. Every time I depresse the clutch to change gears the rpms "hang" for a moment before they slowly drop. I know its all to do with the Drive by wire system I just feel like I'm going to kill my clutch in no time if I let the clutch out to soon. I've tried to research this lots already but I was not able to find any conclusive results. I've read that the transmission in the 2012's needs to be shifted slowly to compensate for the slow drop in rpms and it shifts fine if i just wait to let the clutch back out, but I was wondering if I could make adjustments to how fast the engine idles down between shifts with a tuner like the aev procal or any other tuner out there? I've only ever owned trucks with manual transmission however this is the first dbw vehicle I've owned and all the computer controlled crap is very different than I'm used to. Making slow shifts isn't really a problem it's just different from what I'm used to and if there's a way to make it the way I'm used to it would be that much better.
All new wranglers have this thing where it wont let it rev down fast... I hate it but you just learn to deal with it

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 10-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by -spilly
Its an emissions thing. Really sux. Used to be there was a dashpot on the throttle linkage that could be defeated but now its all in the computer. Takes some of the enjoyment out of a stick.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

It def takes some of the enjoyment out of driving stick. So to date there is nothing that can be done about this correct? It's nothing I can't live with but I would love to have the revs drop much quicker.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a product, which I'm drawing a blank on the name right now, but it plugs into the pedal and u can set in 3 stages the pedal sensitivity.. Someone help me out with the name....
Aside from that as others said u kinda get used to it. I had to... Its nothing like driving a reg cable operated throttle..
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Its an emissions thing. Really sux. Used to be there was a dashpot on the throttle linkage that could be defeated but now its all in the computer. Takes some of the enjoyment out of a stick.
Glad to see someone else who remembers these.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a pain..

If you try altering your driving style (clutch/throttle operation) slightly, you may find it not as bothersome.

It is possible to row through the gears pretty quick without feeling like you're using the clutch as an engine brake for each gear. At times the motor seems to do better with short/quick stabs of the throttle. Mostly it's just really well timed clutch/throttle action.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yo_marc
It is a pain..

If you try altering your driving style (clutch/throttle operation) slightly, you may find it not as bothersome.

It is possible to row through the gears pretty quick without feeling like you're using the clutch as an engine brake for each gear. At times the motor seems to do better with short/quick stabs of the throttle. Mostly it's just really well timed clutch/throttle action.
Ya I've just changed how I drive a bit to compensate. At the end of the day not being able to blow through the gears as fast has actually saved my fuel consumption it's just still taking a while to get used to.

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Theres a product, which I'm drawing a blank on the name right now, but it plugs into the pedal and u can set in 3 stages the pedal sensitivity.. Someone help me out with the name....
Aside from that as others said u kinda get used to it. I had to... Its nothing like driving a reg cable operated throttle..
If you remember I'd like to know more about said product. If it could make the jeep drive like it has a throttle cable that would be kinda sweet.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you get used to it you'll find your are letting off the gas a second before pushing the clutch in and pushing the gas pedal back in a second before engaging the clutch. It's weird but you do get used to it. I'll probably have a hard time when I go back to a normal non drive by wire manual. I notice everything is slow on the jeep. When I want to just tap the horn to let someone know to go if they miss the green light it doesn't even respond. I gave up after honking at a couple of people for longer than expected because I had to hold the horn longer. Don't want to look like a jerk.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Did the same thing in my si(before I tuned it) it's just a drive by wire thing, I just drive it like normal, the slight increase in rpm can't hurt the clutch that much, it's not like there's a load on it, it's just floating down slowly

Quick Reply: Engine rpms slow to drop when shifting