Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine replacement under warranty - new or remanufactured?

Old 01-22-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the reman is all we can get. the short block superceded to a reman long block a couple years ago. and they are in short supply. the oil burning issue is requiring a bunch of engine replacements therefore short supply
Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of this problem in a couple of local jeeps. The dealers just did jaspers. It seems to be a common reason for failure.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

I currently work for a Kia / Mazda dealer and most engines and transmissions are remanufactured. All car companies have a reman center. They are probably better as a reman then brand new because they now use all the new recalled parts that were found to be a bad design.

Live life to the fullest. 2011 JK 3.8 2 Door
Old 01-24-2016, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am a machinist. I work for a large global company. We also reman our own parts. I would actually pick our reman over a new part. A new part quality control may have certain things checked once a shift even if we run 50 of them. But a reman consideration most be 100% checked and still meet new specs.

Remanufactuterd does not mean lower quality or standards.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
if the vehicle was ever used off road it would void warranty to be honest . And its highly unlikely the motor blew from on road use only unless he never changed oil or ran with out it id be glad they gave me a motor that was running with zero miles on it to expect a 3.6 or new jeep is just a foolish thought, unless you were married to the service managers daughter even then ?
This is a bit exaggerated. Jeep has to warranty any off roading that falls within the trail rated badge. I have had quite a bit of trail damage repaired under warranty. If your dealer tells you different you need a different dealer.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phljeeper
This is a bit exaggerated. Jeep has to warranty any off roading that falls within the trail rated badge. I have had quite a bit of trail damage repaired under warranty. If your dealer tells you different you need a different dealer.
phijeeper is absolutely correct. Off-roading doesn't void your warranty but doing something stupid would.

Ed
Old 01-31-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not aruging the remanufactured engine aspect, just mentioning that the 3.8L from 2008-2009 came with lifetime powertrain warranties (I have one of these). So Jeep/Chrysler will need to maintain a stock of replacement engines (remanufactured or new) in inventory for a longgggggg time. Unless, of course, they decide to do full engine/tranny swaps to 3.6L or other next gen versions for replacements down the road.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default reman are fine

rebuilt engines can many times be better than stock... the block will be "seasoned", meaning any stresses are revealed, and when the bores are cleaned up they wont move as much as a new block. same with the crankshaft. also, rebuilt engines usually have better q.c. during the build. things are checked better by the machinists than by a factory line worker.

just sayin'

probably better to just get ur friend in there and ride, quit worrying about perfection.

jeeps shine in their imperfectness. it's a utility vehicle.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement under warranty - new or remanufactured?