Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine replacement under warranty - new or remanufactured?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement under warranty - new or remanufactured?

Friend has a 2011 JK bought just a couple months before mine, burning oil badly and dealership agreed to replace the engine under warranty. It's been at the dealership for three weeks now and they said they'll be replacing with a remanufactured engine and not new.

Obviously went to Pentastar in 2012 but really, there are no new engines? Is this dealership BS? Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by axelaR
Friend has a 2011 JK bought just a couple months before mine, burning oil badly and dealership agreed to replace the engine under warranty. It's been at the dealership for three weeks now and they said they'll be replacing with a remanufactured engine and not new. Obviously went to Pentastar in 2012 but really, there are no new engines? Is this dealership BS? Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks!
I will attempt to answer your question with more questions. Not trying to be a smart-ass or knock your question at all, just applying some logic.

Why would FCA have any 3.8 V-6 engines lying around 5 years after making a major powertrain change to the Pentastar on several models?

To the best of my knowledge MOPAR does not sell the 3.8 as a crate motor; why would they as it is not a performance engine, nor a workhorse like the old 4.0 I-6?

Once again, not trying to be a jerk and I apologize if this might be interpreted that way. I have nothing against the 3.8, it just was not so awesome.

It is awesome that your friend gets an engine replacement albeit remanufactured.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doc5339
Why would FCA have any 3.8 V-6 engines lying around 5 years after making a major powertrain change to the Pentastar on several models?
Magnuson-Moss Act requires them to have a supply of parts for the duration of the warranty on all vehicles they sell, which would include a 5-year/100K powertrain warranty. So they should have a supply of replacement parts including a complete engine until the end of 2016 at least, and probably later, since most likely they sold some 2011s in 2012.

Of course, there's a chance that same engine was used in some other car produced after 2011, I don't know. But if so, then that would extend the amount of time they'd have to keep parts for the engine.

If they don't have parts to honor the 5-year warranty term, then they have to offer a replacement vehicle at a discounted price in lieu of a warranty claim.

I suspect the OP's friend either is out of warranty (>100K) or not covered under the original manufacturer's warranty (second hand vehicle, etc.). Maybe the owner of the 2011 Jeep was found to be partly responsible for the failure and this is a negotiated position. Who knows. But FCA should have 3.8L V6s available as replacements at least through the end of this year, otherwise they will wind up having to do buy-backs or offer heavily-discounted new Jeeps as replacements for warranty claims.

FCA is not reputed to be very generous with warranty claims if you believe what you read in the various Jeep forums. IANAL etc.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
Magnuson-Moss Act requires them to have a supply of parts for the duration of the warranty on all vehicles they sell, which would include a 5-year/100K powertrain warranty. So they should have a supply of replacement parts including a complete engine until the end of 2016 at least, and probably later, since most likely they sold some 2011s in 2012. Of course, there's a chance that same engine was used in some other car produced after 2011, I don't know. But if so, then that would extend the amount of time they'd have to keep parts for the engine. If they don't have parts to honor the 5-year warranty term, then they have to offer a replacement vehicle at a discounted price in lieu of a warranty claim. I suspect the OP's friend either is out of warranty (>100K) or not covered under the original manufacturer's warranty (second hand vehicle, etc.). Maybe the owner of the 2011 Jeep was found to be partly responsible for the failure and this is a negotiated position. Who knows. But FCA should have 3.8L V6s available as replacements at least through the end of this year, otherwise they will wind up having to do buy-backs or offer heavily-discounted new Jeeps as replacements for warranty claims. FCA is not reputed to be very generous with warranty claims if you believe what you read in the various Jeep forums. IANAL etc.
Good point, I never even considered the Magnuson-Moss Act. It would cool to squeeze a Pentastar or new Wrangler (with Pentastar) out of FCA.

Good luck to this friend of yours. Please let us all know how it works out.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

This is from the 2011 warranty booklet. (It's in the warranty booklet for each year model, too.)
Buyers may even have signed something in the sale paperwork that they agree with the following.

4. Other Terms of Your
Warranties

4.1 Exchanged Parts May Be Used in
Warranty Repairs

In the interest of customer satisfaction,
Chrysler Group LLC ("Chrysler") may offer exchange
service on some vehicle parts. This service is
intended to reduce the amount of time your vehicle is
not available for your use because of repairs. Parts
used in exchange service may be new, remanufactured,
reconditioned, or repaired, depending on the
part involved.
All exchange parts that might be used meet
Chrysler standards, and have the same warranties as
new parts.
Examples of the kinds of parts that might be
serviced in this way are:
• engine assemblies;
• transmission assemblies;
• instrument cluster assemblies;
• radios, tape, CD and DVD players;
• speedometers; and
• powertrain control modules.
To help control suspected ozone-depleting agents,
the EPA requires the capture, purification, and
reuse of automotive air-conditioning refrigerant
gases. As a result, a repair to the sealed portion of
your air-conditioning system may involve the
installation of purified reclaimed refrigerant.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-22-2016 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would try to get the dealer to do a jasper engine if remanufacture is the route they are going. Jasper comes with a 3 or 5 year warranty. Just food for thought.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to work as a mechanic for gm and if I
Big powertrain component fails they only replace with there own reman, they won't use new
Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default im surprised they even offerd to fix it

if the vehicle was ever used off road it would void warranty to be honest . And its highly unlikely the motor blew from on road use only unless he never changed oil or ran with out it

id be glad they gave me a motor that was running with zero miles on it
to expect a 3.6 or new jeep is just a foolish thought, unless you were married to the service managers daughter even then ?

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-22-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Originally Posted by mr72
Magnuson-Moss Act requires them to have a supply of parts for the duration of the warranty on all vehicles they sell, which would include a 5-year/100K powertrain warranty. So they should have a supply of replacement parts including a complete engine until the end of 2016 at least, and probably later, since most likely they sold some 2011s in 2012.

Of course, there's a chance that same engine was used in some other car produced after 2011, I don't know. But if so, then that would extend the amount of time they'd have to keep parts for the engine.

If they don't have parts to honor the 5-year warranty term, then they have to offer a replacement vehicle at a discounted price in lieu of a warranty claim.

I suspect the OP's friend either is out of warranty (>100K) or not covered under the original manufacturer's warranty (second hand vehicle, etc.). Maybe the owner of the 2011 Jeep was found to be partly responsible for the failure and this is a negotiated position. Who knows. But FCA should have 3.8L V6s available as replacements at least through the end of this year, otherwise they will wind up having to do buy-backs or offer heavily-discounted new Jeeps as replacements for warranty claims.

FCA is not reputed to be very generous with warranty claims if you believe what you read in the various Jeep forums. IANAL etc.
We live in Canada so it's unlikely this Act applies here.

Friend is within warranty, original owner, all servicing has been done at the current dealership. This is a mall crawler and has never been taken off road. Engine was burning oil, a lot of it. The dealership tested and monitored over a few months and they agreed that the engine was burning oil outside of their allowable limits, after initially not being very helpful.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is from the 2011 warranty booklet. (It's in the warranty booklet for each year model, too.)
Buyers may even have signed something in the sale paperwork that they agree with the following.

4. Other Terms of Your
Warranties

4.1 Exchanged Parts May Be Used in
Warranty Repairs

In the interest of customer satisfaction,
Chrysler Group LLC ("Chrysler") may offer exchange
service on some vehicle parts. This service is
intended to reduce the amount of time your vehicle is
not available for your use because of repairs. Parts
used in exchange service may be new, remanufactured,
reconditioned, or repaired, depending on the
part involved.
All exchange parts that might be used meet
Chrysler standards, and have the same warranties as
new parts.
Examples of the kinds of parts that might be
serviced in this way are:
• engine assemblies;
• transmission assemblies;
• instrument cluster assemblies;
• radios, tape, CD and DVD players;
• speedometers; and
• powertrain control modules.
To help control suspected ozone-depleting agents,
the EPA requires the capture, purification, and
reuse of automotive air-conditioning refrigerant
gases. As a result, a repair to the sealed portion of
your air-conditioning system may involve the
installation of purified reclaimed refrigerant.
Thanks, I guess that answer's it right there. They can replace with whatever they want.

Last edited by axelaR; 01-22-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement under warranty - new or remanufactured?