Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine power

Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Ok....I see the coonfrooshun. It was MINE. YOUR chart is specified for 1:1 not using overdrive. JPops chart is specified fir high gear with lockup included. However, what JK is your chart for? The auto or manual? They have different cruising speeds.
Wouldn't the fact the chart is 1:1 make it applicable to both auto and manual?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Wouldn't the fact the chart is 1:1 make it applicable to both auto and manual?
I'm not sure. I've never had a manual and auto side by side. Used to be that answer was no. Because the converter allows slippage all the time. With a lockup converter however, I'm not sure how comparable they would be in RPM at the same speed. I would think close....but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Which is why if you had the next step, 4.56 you wouldn't have to use those nearly as often since you would be able to maintain your speeds longer/higher grades before downshifting or hitting the o/d button.

You said it yourself you have to use the buttons, therefore making it not an ideal combination.

Just my subjective interpretation.

Actually I think we agree. Though my writeup indicates I did not choose to regear, I do think the gearing is too low for my taste on the Auto JK with P32" tires. But, some may actually think it is ideal because they want to lean more towards optimizing economy.

Now, if I choose to go to larger diameter tires, there is no question in my mind that I could justify the regear. And truthefully, if I could try a 4.56 with P32 and know it made enough difference in performance without robbing too much economy, I would take the plung to regear now.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....I see the coonfrooshun. It was MINE. YOUR chart is specified for 1:1 not using overdrive. JPops chart is specified fir high gear with lockup included. However, what JK is your chart for? The auto or manual? They have different cruising speeds.
My chart is a reprint of Jpops from his writeup on regearing. But I created an excel sheet to play with gear ratio and RPM in different gears. The chart though, is for any JK model in two wheel drive (eg. no transfer case gear reduction) with auto trans in 3rd gear (1:1), or manual in 5th gear. No slippage is assumed.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not sure. I've never had a manual and auto side by side. Used to be that answer was no. Because the converter allows slippage all the time. With a lockup converter however, I'm not sure how comparable they would be in RPM at the same speed. I would think close....but I wouldn't bet on it.
According to the AeroForce gauge, the TC slippage is zero when locked up.

Quick Reply: engine power