Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine power

Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would invest in the Superchips before spending money on a CAI.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dancarpetman
i have a 2008 4 door jk. first jeep for me. it seems at highway speeds, and the slighest incline, my jeep is down shifting to make the climb. seems like i always have to have my foot into the pedal to make it go. had a 4 cylinder honda element that cruised much better. please dont tell me its a jeep thing again. tired of hearing excuses
Take a look at this. It is not a Jeep thing. It's an economy thing.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Gearing.pdf
Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi

Get a Flashpaq and go from there...
Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redrunner
Take a look at this. It is not a Jeep thing. It's an economy thing.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Gearing.pdf
That ain't right at all for the JK.

This is the chart that's JK specific for both the auto and manual trans with the correct OD ratios figured in for each.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

RedneckJeep,

The pdf redrunner linked to is JK specific, too.

I don't agree with the subjective interpretation of the gear ratios (color codes) in your chart. I would hate to think a 4.10 ratio on 32" tires, automatic, is good for only "mild trail use at low elevation".
I can prevent my JK from being sluggish (as noted in your chart) by proper use of the two levers on the console and the O/D button.

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-18-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
RedneckJeep,

I don't agree with the subjective interpretation of the gear ratios (color codes) in your chart. I would hate to think a 4.10 ratio on 32" tires, automatic, is good for only "mild trail use at low elevation".
I can prevent my JK from being sluggish (as noted in your chart) by proper use of the two levers on the console and the O/D button.
It does not take into account the transfer case ratio as for 4low operation. It is sluggish because you have to use those two levers and the o/d button to drive "normally". Which is why if you had the next step, 4.56 you wouldn't have to use those nearly as often since you would be able to maintain your speeds longer/higher grades before downshifting or hitting the o/d button.

You said it yourself you have to use the buttons, therefore making it not an ideal combination.

Just my subjective interpretation.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
It does not take into account the transfer case ratio as for 4low operation. It is sluggish because you have to use those two levers and the o/d button to drive "normally". Which is why if you had the next step, 4.56 you wouldn't have to use those nearly as often since you would be able to maintain your speeds longer/higher grades before downshifting or hitting the o/d button.

You said it yourself you have to use the buttons, therefore making it not an ideal combination.

Just my subjective interpretation.
I am OK with that. For me, pushing the button, or letting it come out of O/D on its own, is fine. Not until I get bigger tires, would I even consider anything beyond the 4.10s I already have. O/D on for highway speeds, O/D off when not needed. No big deal.

I know the chart doesn't consider 4lo. So, to make it better than "mild trail use at low elevation", I get into 4lo. That's why it's there.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
That ain't right at all for the JK.

IMG]
The chart is right for 65 MPG and 1:1 ratio. Now it does take 32" diameter literally. Where in reality most "32" tire's effective diameter is less as measured from the ground to the axle center. I copied the chart from another source but agrees with my excel calculations. Tell me please via a calculation of a few of the figures why it is wrong.

Last edited by redrunner; 11-18-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ronjenx
RedneckJeep,

It's not my chart. It's JPops chart. From what I understand, he's done relentless research to document those figures. That's why it's in the FAQ section of this site. If Eddie thinks it's good enough to be JK specific, that's good enough for me.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by redrunner
The chart is right for 65 MPG and 1:1 ratio. Now it does take 32" diameter literally. Where in reality most "32" tire's effective diameter is less as measured from the ground to the axle center. I copied the chart from another source but agrees with my excel calculations. Tell me please via a calculation of a few of the figures why it is wrong.
Ok....I see the coonfrooshun. It was MINE. YOUR chart is specified for 1:1 not using overdrive. JPops chart is specified fir high gear with lockup included. However, what JK is your chart for? The auto or manual? They have different cruising speeds.

Quick Reply: engine power