Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine power

Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JKdewd
I'm a novice at jeeping.. etc.. but visited 4wd dot com and bought a BANKS cold air intake. (reason why 4wd dot com and nobody else.. it's on sale 201.00 bucks..) called banks in CA and they said they couldn't touch it for that price.. but besides the price.. that same downshift up a small incline will be replaced with a normal growl.. and no downshift but increased power and mpg. everybody should venture down this path.

and just a small FYI I have an automatic, 15k miles stock 18's sahara tires grab rubber on dry pavement it has that much -- I'm not a race guy in a 4wd, but for little $ this pushes out power.. check out videos on you tube.

BANKS POWER
Does your new CAI take air from under the hood, like the stock intake?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the banks power. Its to good of a deal to pass up i couldnt belive the price. quadratec has it for 287 right now and i went on 4wd and sure enough 201. Its on its way now. so if anyone islooking for a K and N drop in for cheap pm me.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming you have the Sahara or X?

I originally had an 2008 Sahara 4-Door with 3.73's and I was frustrated with the constant downshifting and overall lack of power.

I recently had an oppertunity to change over to a 2007 Rubicon 4-Door with the 4.10's and I cannot believe the difference. It pulls up the hills better and does not downshift near as much so it is a blast to drive.

Its all in the gearing.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for your replies, my 2008 has about 10,000 miles. have the kn filter, will the banks really help? also have appointment at the dealer , he says to check computer for shift points? is this b.s or could this be a problem
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Does your new CAI take air from under the hood, like the stock intake?
CAI, from under hood yes, but the opening is bigger.. and the banks air filter doesn't need much attention.. I called banks power in CA and they said 4wd PAYS more than 200 for the unit and they couldn't price match.

My sahara has 410 gears, tow package upgraded. not many shifts.. I don't get on it and I drive like an old lady.. but normal 35mph. you hear a 'sucking' sound, not like in a xx film.. a normal engine looking for air sound.

GO BANKS!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the superchips flashpack !!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR-WRANGLER
x2 on the superchips flashpack !!!!
X3 on the Flashpaq.

I drive over a 1.5-2.0 mi highway grade on a regular basis where my stock unlimited wandered in and out of overdrive at 65-70 MPH consistently. When I upgraded to 5.13s and 35s it still did it to a slightly less degree. If i was careful to hold 65 MPH it would not downshift too frequently.

Since I reprogrammed the ECM with the Flashpaq, I can stay in overdrive up to 75 MPH consistently on that same grade. The throttle lag is gone and the shift points are much crisper AND I can pull out in the left lane and pass someone if needed.

I am sure the dealer techs can adjust the ECM as needed, but the questions is:

Will they do it as effectively as the Flashpaq because of Jeep policies?

Jeep could do this from factory, but they obviously don't.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JKdewd
CAI, from under hood yes, but the opening is bigger.. and the banks air filter doesn't need much attention.. I called banks power in CA and they said 4wd PAYS more than 200 for the unit and they couldn't price match.

My sahara has 410 gears, tow package upgraded. not many shifts.. I don't get on it and I drive like an old lady.. but normal 35mph. you hear a 'sucking' sound, not like in a xx film.. a normal engine looking for air sound.

GO BANKS!
So, where does the "cold air" part of the equation fit in?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I think the 3.8 in our Sahara two door (08 JK Sahara, 12k miles) has plenty of power. We live way up in the mountains and the Jeep is far peppier than the Dodge Ram ST 1500 with the 3.7. They both have the same six speed gear box.

These aren't race cars, and they are not designed for superior passing on the interstate. On the steep, twisty and narrow roads we drive daily, the limitation on speed is line of sight and the steep ravines with no guardrails...

On the other hand, the 3.8 six puts out vastly more power than the flat head six in the power wagon.

Howard
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds definetly normal...Superchips programmer helps big time...
I still get downshifts on inclines but not as much...Shift points have
changed alot...I have Airaid intake- Poweraid throttle body spacer- Superchips-MBRP exhaust i am very happy with improvement...

Quick Reply: engine power