Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Which Engine Oil for JK

Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Purple 5W-30 (they were out of 5W-20) with a Perculator oil filter. No cruise control and getting 19+mpg on the highway doing 65-75. 4 door with a 5speed.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

I use Penzoil 5W-20. It meets or exceeds DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395 - so it’s what the Owner’s Manual calls for. If the engine fails it will be one less thing the Dealer can say I did wrong. Also it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than synthetic. I just got another case at .99 a quart (on sale). I now have 2 cases of the stuff for only 24 bucks!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Castrol GTX 5w20 and a Mopar filter. The oil meets Chrysler standards.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by putnam dan
Good cheap oil changed regularly

Mobil1 et al are a real waste if changed at 3000mile intervals
That depends on whether or not you are working it hard or not. Plus, synthetic does better in extreme conditions and is also more stable at higher temps.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Castrol GTX 5w20 here too.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Slight drift here, but would you guys also change the oil every 3 months regardless of mileage? Mine is 3 months old this week, still only about 2k miles on it.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kastiron
Slight drift here, but would you guys also change the oil every 3 months regardless of mileage? Mine is 3 months old this week, still only about 2k miles on it.
In "rough" conditions I would, otherwise I wouldn't. Since yours is new, and it would be the first oil change, it wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Castrol GTX, K&N oil Filter. 19mpg. 2008 4dr Rubicon
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Guys, How many millions of miles have your dads or grandpa's driven in that chevy, ford, or dodge on plain old penzoil or valvoline? What about the farmers that use Dello in everything and they have lasted forever? Most often they were using what ever was on sale. For me a Fram and what ever name brand with the ASI seal on sale every three thousand. It has not let me down yet.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KMB-JK
Hey Guys, How many millions of miles have your dads or grandpa's driven in that chevy, ford, or dodge on plain old penzoil or valvoline? What about the farmers that use Dello in everything and they have lasted forever? Most often they were using what ever was on sale. For me a Fram and what ever name brand with the ASI seal on sale every three thousand. It has not let me down yet.
I know for a fact that those old Model T and Model A Fords didn't make it to 220,000 miles very often without going through several overhauls. My '90 Bronco has 216,000 on it and the engine nor tranny have ever been opened up and I have pretty much ran valvoline in it. However, it is a V8.

Furthermore, there are a lot of expensive tractors out there and I know for a fact most professional farm operations don't ignore maintenance on those machines regardless of what there program is.

However, You missed the point on the synthetic oil. That is the temperature conditions under which it will work and hold up. They also don't trap water and gasoline in them like dino oil does. I agree that with the 3000 mile oil change interval, one of the advantages of synthetic is lost and that is extended changes. However, the manual for my wife's rodeo called for changes at 7500 mile intervals and we have actually changed the oil at 5000 with Mobil 1 oil and PureOne filters and we have put 160,000 on it and the 3.2 in it is doing fine.

As far as my JK goes, I'm running semi-synthetic that it came from the factory with and will until I use up the free oil changes at which time I will switch to synthetic.

Finally, dino oils aren't the same anymore either. They are better than the were 15 or 20 years ago. Non the less, synthetic oil is still better than modern dino oils across the board.

P.S. My grandpa told me he had to walk up hill both ways to and from school in the snow.

Quick Reply: Which Engine Oil for JK