Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Oil Capacity Revisited

Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
my story
went to the dealer got conventional oil change noticed oil was only 1/2 way on full mark went back and i said top it up....they said to ensure that it isn't over full and to prevent damage from windage in the oilpan to keep the crank out of the oil that they only put 5.5litres in. ... I said my jeep ins't a mall crawler i actually use it off road and in various off camber situations i need all the oil i can get and all the oil that is recommended by the manufacturer.
then i said in front of a bunch of customers that is you save .5 of a litre on every oil change then you have ripped people off 3$ off every oil change from every person and you have increased you oil supply by skimping out... that is theft and misrepresentation. contrary to what the invoice says 6 litres and you only put in 5.25 to 5.5 litres. perhaps i should call the police. my point is service manager if chrysler wanted 5.5 litres then they would have written that in the manuals but they don't the spec 6L.

I said firmly I will be filing a complaint with Chrysler Canada.
and to this day BELLEVILLE DODGE SERVICE SUCKS

i noticed on my service invoices after seeing i was down a quart (below the safe line slightly) that they only fill "up to 5 quarts" really annoying..they also said to keep my maxcare and free tires for life that i had to do this "brake inspection"..it was at like 4500 miles..i had a feeling everything was probably fine and they just took me for a ride, but i didnt even want to deal with them and had them do it..stealerships are annoying..i need to learn to do it all myself
Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with the others. Just did an oil change on mine tonight. 6 qts. won't hurt a damn thing.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default a COUPLE OF THOUGHTS

The manual does specify 6 quarts, NOT 5. There is a reason for this- your engine cooling system (the water) cools only the cylinder area and the heads. The lower end (crankshaft,rod ends and associated bearings) use engine OIL for cooling. The friction generated in the bottom end is relieved by the oil, and the heat generated by this friction is dispersed by the volume of oil pumped thru the system. The jeep is actually designed with extra-duty situations in mind, Chrysler WOULD NOT spend the money for an extra quart of oil for this vehicle unless it was REQUIRED. Mall crawling you will get by, out in the boonies in 4WD LO you NEED that 6th quart. NOT extra quart- the 6th quart. Pay absolutely NO attention to that top dipstick mark, scratch a 6 quart mark on it when you change your oil and go with that mark in the future. Remember that your full mark is false until you've started the engine and the oil lite has gone out after the oil change. Let it drain for a couple of minutes then check the level. This is your true ''full'' level.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did six qts two days ago. Yesterday I went out for a trail ride with a bunch of Sunshine State guys and I had no problems there. I'll check my levels now that I've read this.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Are you guys checking with the engine running? Or Off? Or after it has sat for several hours or even overnight?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fIREWIRE- when the engine is running there is probably around 2 quarts being pumped at any one time thru the crankshaft. the rockers, lifters and passageways in the engine, so obviously a true reading cannot be gotten when running. A good time to check it is around 30 minutes or so after driving. it will give the oil time to drain down out of the heads.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you! I put 5 3/4 quarts in and it looks like it is just over the full mark after letting it sit over night.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

I have been changing mine for about 2 years....6 quarts fills it perfectly to top of safe zone. I suspect that people only needing 5 for that same level are maybe not getting all of the old oil out when they do the change. I cannot see the same vehicle having capacities varying by 1 quart any other way, 1/4 to 1/2 maybe....just my thoughts.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by keithbrown315
I have been changing mine for about 2 years....6 quarts fills it perfectly to top of safe zone. I suspect that people only needing 5 for that same level are maybe not getting all of the old oil out when they do the change. I cannot see the same vehicle having capacities varying by 1 quart any other way, 1/4 to 1/2 maybe....just my thoughts.
Dip sticks, or dip stick tubes of varying lengths will do it. I seem to recall that being the case with several JKs over the years.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-13-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keithbrown315
Wow my vintage thread came back to life. Still the same situation at every self change, just hit 40k and ready for the 11th oil change.

Start on level flat garage floor, Drains for at least 1 hour with warm engine and plug and filter removed. Should be close to bone dry with no more drips in the collection pan. Fill with all but about 200ml or 7oz in the 6th qt of Mobile 1 5/20 Syn. After driving and letting set over night stick reading is always above the full mark at the top of the smooth area right where the notch starts. After about 2000 miles it burns or loses down to the top of the notched area or full mark. By 4-5k miles reading is usually about 3/4 full in the cross marked zone. Estimates about 20oz burn/lose per 5k. Switching to 5/30 next change using same method to see if it stops the lose which compared to others is not an issue even with the 5/20.

Each vehicle has it's own distinctive differences due to human involvement during the construction of the parts and assembly of the same parts. Know your JK and treat it like your best friend and it will not do you wrong. Like a women, neglect it or treat it wrong and she will leave you high and dry.

Spring has sprung so Tops Down and let's go Jeeping.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Capacity Revisited