Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Oil Capacity Revisited

Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6qts here too. no issues, changed it about 6-7 times in 2 years.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smiley
Been a long time since we talked Engine Oil Capacity. Did my own for the first three oil changes and only put in between 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 qts to read full in the stick. Had the dealer do my change today since it was in for the pinion seal TSB replacement and they said the readings vary on each vehicle so they go by the book and throw 6 qts at it with a new filter and call it a day. They said they have never had a overfill problem with the JK since it would take alot more that 1/2 qt to cause problems. You guys and gals using 6 qts and having a high reading on your sticks ever had any issues with seals and such? Mine is now at the crooked notch with all 6 qts. Little higher than I like but feel if my fellow JKers have had no issues with 6qts then I will let it go and not drain any down this go.

Heck 1/2 qt is nothing, about 3 years ago the Subaru dealer put 12 qts in my 6 qt Outback. Swapped out mech in the middle of the job, classic mistake. The Car seemed a little, well alot sluggish on the way home. When I pulled the dipstick when I got home my head just about exploded. So I drained it all out and put 6 qts in and headed back to the dealer the next morning bright and early. The tension in the service bay that morning was priceless with 3 milk jugs full of oil sitting in the floor holding up the days activities. The topper was when the service manager finally decided to get a pair and pick them up to move them he dropped one jug and oil went flying. Been 40K miles since then and no engine problems resulted from driving 40 miles with those 12 qts.
Something to keep in mind. Dipsticks are not always made exactly the same and are there for a "safe zone" the engine oil capacity is 6qts. Just put in the 6 qts with a filter and away you go. Just my opinion.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x11 on the 6qts. Right at the fill-line w/ oil and filter change.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Resurrecting an old thread, cause I just encountered this same issue. Although maybe it should go in the 'things your dealer told you' thread.

I had my third oil/filter change at the dealer a couple weeks ago. Today at my first fill-up I checked the oil and was surprised to see it showing well over full. (It reads higher by more than the width of the 'safe' zone -- about an inch above 'full' and past the 'notch'.)

I had never noticed it this high before, so I swung by the dealer's service department and asked about it. Service adviser says it's about a 'half-quart' high and won't damage anything.

So I showed him my receipt for the oil change, where it says five (5) quarts were added. Not even six.

He didn't have an answer for that, but recommended I mention it at my next change so they can do a comparison before and after.

Just thought I'd share. In the meantime, from what I read in this thread, high dipstick readings seem to be common on the JK, and no one has noticed any ill effects.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

i found out my dealer was only putting n 5 quarts, which left me at the bottom of the safe zone..only happened twice but i never thought id have an issue since i dont drive it 3000 miles in 3 months, more like 1500 lol...but i went and 1100 miles later i was at the safe line, down a quart, so i think 6 is best..should be perfect
Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez. If you go by the manual it says:

Engine Oil with Filter
3.8 Liter Engine (SAE 5W-20, API Certified Engine Oil) 5.7 Liters

5.7 Liters = 6.02312279 US quarts. You ain't put ENOUGH in!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did mine and freaked out when i saw where it was on the dipstick....so, I drained out a little to bring it back into the safe zone.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

6 quarts puts me at the top of the hash marks, 3 oil changes for me and no problems.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

yup i always put in 6 with filter change.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

my story
went to the dealer got conventional oil change noticed oil was only 1/2 way on full mark went back and i said top it up....they said to ensure that it isn't over full and to prevent damage from windage in the oilpan to keep the crank out of the oil that they only put 5.5litres in. ... I said my jeep ins't a mall crawler i actually use it off road and in various off camber situations i need all the oil i can get and all the oil that is recommended by the manufacturer.
then i said in front of a bunch of customers that is you save .5 of a litre on every oil change then you have ripped people off 3$ off every oil change from every person and you have increased you oil supply by skimping out... that is theft and misrepresentation. contrary to what the invoice says 6 litres and you only put in 5.25 to 5.5 litres. perhaps i should call the police. my point is service manager if chrysler wanted 5.5 litres then they would have written that in the manuals but they don't the spec 6L.

I said firmly I will be filing a complaint with Chrysler Canada.
and to this day BELLEVILLE DODGE SERVICE SUCKS

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Capacity Revisited