Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine knock from Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W-20

Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammit, I just changed it today and used castrol 5-20! let's hope I don't fall into the same problem
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Maybe you won't. It could be that I have one of the crappy engines that's more susceptible to knocking and pinging.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Maybe you won't. It could be that I have one of the crappy engines that's more susceptible to knocking and pinging.
Yeah, funny thing is, I've read here before on one of the numerous "what oil to use" threads that Mobil1 synthetic is actually a "thin" oil, and that 5w30 in mobil1 is the equivalent of 5w20 in other brands. I have no experience with the 5w20 Castrol edge, as I run the 5w30 without issue (5w20 weight oil isn't available off the shelf where I am as it's considered a thin winter oil only).

As soon as I'm out of warranty though I'll be switching to 10 or 15w40, as I'm in a hot climate & that's the factory fill here for motors of similar design to the JK's V6; I know Chrysler specified 5w20 in order to increase mileage marginally, but it's just too thin for a motor of primitive design such as the Chrysler V6 (we're not talking a high performance quad-cam, 24 valve, turbo-charged VVT motor here) unless you're in a cold climate.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I almost bought the Edge last weekend! i changed my oil.. they had sales on all castrol but i got syntec instead (5w-20, black bottle), I've driven it for a couple hundred miles and no issues.. just my
Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

I've been using castrol syntek 5w20 since the first oil change with no issues or noises, and I've got 30,000 on it now. Remember, the engineers recommend oil to match the bearing clearances in these engines. Thicker oil isn't recommended for such tight bearing clearances. I'm sure they wouldn't spend Chryslers money to design an engine that doesn't last, being the engine warranty is 100,000. Just my 2 cents, from being a heavy line mechanic for 26 years.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

All I know is either I'v had horrible luck with engines, or horrible luck with 5w-20 oil. I already had the lifters and shortblock replaced, and my lifters are definitely shot again at just 2500 miles one them.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

You still have the castrol bottles right? I'd call Castrol any way if I were you, they can still test the residue in the bottles. Once you hear a knock, the damage is already done. I'm sure it's quite minimal from the way you explained it but that is still premature wear. If the oil was incorrectly packaged, you have something to go back to incase of an early engine failure.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

I may go ahead and shoot them an email just to see what they say. But I don't expect anything more than the standard reply of how the oil was developed, rigorous testing, etc. There was no knocking on the initial start up. It was only after the engine ran for a while and the oil heated up that I heard anything. So hopefully, no damage was done. I also pulled the empties out of the trash can just in case Castrol is interested.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
I may go ahead and shoot them an email just to see what they say. But I don't expect anything more than the standard reply of how the oil was developed, rigorous testing, etc. There was no knocking on the initial start up. It was only after the engine ran for a while and the oil heated up that I heard anything. So hopefully, no damage was done. I also pulled the empties out of the trash can just in case Castrol is interested.
You would probably need to have the oil tested by an independent lab (Blackstone?) then, if the results show the oil isn't what it was supposed to be, send the results to Castrol. Otherwise you're probably just going to get a form letter.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Here's the response from Castrol. It looks pretty much like a copy/paste job. But they do say 5w20 or 5w30 may be used.

Thank you for contacting Castrol.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended grade and API specific to your application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

According to Castrol’s lubrication guide recommended for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler is the following:

5w30 or 5w20 can be used.

There are several factors that can cause engine noise, which are not attributed to the motor oil. For example, reduced drain down, as a result of accumulated deposits in the engine can increase engine noise. Also, elevated fuel content could lead to a more noticeable noise level due to a reduced viscosity level. We recommend that you consult your auto mechanic in either case.

In addition, in the fall and winter months, gasoline companies use a different mixture. The fuels are oxygenated and methanol is added. This mixture is better for low temperature emissions. This change can affect the gas mileage of the vehicle and cause noise.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Quick Reply: Engine knock from Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W-20