Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine electical sound when Jeep is not running?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Skippman
You're certian it's not the cooling fan for the factory amp?
Isn't the amp under the steering wheel? Its coming from under the fuse box. I stood next to it for 10 minutes- hood open. There is no doubt that is where it is coming from. Even slid under the Jeep and listened from below
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hear it too, and I don't have the amp or the factory head unit. It reminds me of one of those crap ass power antennas going up.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dubya
.... Same result. Sitting in a lawn chair next to the Jeep for an hour. It never stops.
You waiting for it to go somewhere without you?

I hears it too.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the noise too. When I left my key in the run position over night (engine not running) and drained my battery completely, when I came out the next morning, I heard a sickly version of the same kind of periodic noise coming from the fuse box. I opened it up and pulled the relay that it was coming from, and it stopped (obviously). I should have noted which one it was, because that would have been a good clue.

Definitely some kind of relay-activated thing. It was one of the big gray relays that says "Omron" on the top.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
You waiting for it to go somewhere without you?

I hears it too.
Oh, don't worry- I've got the wheels chocked. That baby ain't goin' nowhere!

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
I have the noise too. When I left my key in the run position over night (engine not running) and drained my battery completely, when I came out the next morning, I heard a sickly version of the same kind of periodic noise coming from the fuse box. I opened it up and pulled the relay that it was coming from, and it stopped (obviously). I should have noted which one it was, because that would have been a good clue.

Definitely some kind of relay-activated thing. It was one of the big gray relays that says "Omron" on the top.
Cool- No negative effects?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dubya
Cool- No negative effects?
No negative effects from pulling it, though I did replace it when I went to start the engine... presumably it's important whatever it is.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Talking Update

OK, I updated the original post with a pic and an mp3 of the sound, also to be found below.

My concern is that whatever it is might be prematurely draining my battery. It seems I can only listen to the radio (w/ignition off) for about 2.5-3 hours and I need a jump. I don't drive the Jeep every day, but in the past I was able to go 2-3 days without starting it, listening to the radio for hours (workin' on the Jeep, sittin' in the yard, etc)

Even if it's not "a bad thing", it's still anoyoing and I would like to know what it is

btw, I the dealer replaced my stock battery with a new one back in the fall, so its not even that old.

Here is an mp3 of the sound I recorder with my BB. The file is 14 seconds long, the sound occurs at about 7 seconds in.

h t tp : / / rapidshare . com/files/248204315/JK.mp3

This was the recording setup:

Last edited by Dubya; 06-24-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added pic and sound
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

I've heard mine do this before but not regularly.

I thought it was just trying to talk to me, so I just ended up making servo noises back.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

I believe its something tied to the touch screen nav system, it must suck up alot of juice or have some sort of a different set up than the basic radio/cd player because of the 20GB HD it runs.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Mine does it everytime I thought it was normal lol I just turn up the radi o and say F it

Quick Reply: Engine electical sound when Jeep is not running?