Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine degreaser

Old 05-04-2017, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

No, you won't ruin anything. Stuff a rag into the air intake, or some other method of preventing water from going in there. Just be reasonable with the amount of water you are using. The beauty of a pressure washer is that is actually doesn't use a large quantity of water. I also will not spray cold hose water on a fully hot engine. That's why I said to have it warm.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Gunk original after returning from Moab. Engine looks like new. Sprayed it with Gunk, let it sit for 10 minutes and hit it with the hose. I put a bag over my intake opening, alternator and ARB compressor. Other than that everything got Gunk'd and hosed.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I typically try to avoid getting the degreaser on the belt as well protecting the intake from water, but other than that things are fair game.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most degreasers work best on an operating temp surface when the grease is easiest to break down and remove.

(Jeeps and other off-road rigs frequently perform water crossings that drench the engine bay with cold water onto a hot motor with a heck of a lot more water than a garden hose or car wash wand can provide.)

I've regularly sprayed down the hot engine bay of every rig I've owned for the last 35 years and had never had an issue. Use common sense and avoid direct spray to the fuse box, alternator, AC clutch, and any CPU wiring.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oven cleaner is the best degreaser that I've used.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ClanCannabis
Oven cleaner is the best degreaser that I've used.
Oven cleaner can attack aluminum pretty badly. I would personally avoid that. One time I used oven cleaner to clean a portable Coleman grill. The cleaner completely destroyed the surface of the aluminum. I bet if you read the label it will say not to use on aluminum. Also if you do a search on aluminum and oven cleaner you will find lots of posts from people who experienced damage.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yet another simple green user here, I usualy wash my engine first thing in the morn before I even run it that way there it's cold since the water is cold, cleans up realy well

Quick Reply: Engine degreaser