Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine clattering and "HOT OIL" warning

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgray86
I don't get any engine clattering but have had the "HOT OIL" light come on once while driving on the beach. Sand wasn't really that thick either and I was moving along pretty good (around 3k RPMs). Is this just the result of the shitty engine? I have a 2011 BTW so no Pentastar.
I have a 2011 also, the 2008 JK never gave me any trouble.

I appreciate all the responses, nice to know now that it wasn't the engine oil.

I do ALOT of beach driving, even the 2011 didn't do it last year - 1st time was around January.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I would be willing to bet you were in 4hi on the beach.

The clattering is most likely the engine pinging from being overloaded at too low an rpm.

Sand really taxes the drive train. It's just hard to move through it.

The hot oil warning is for the transmission fluid.
Get an aux transmission cooler.
Put it in 4lo, "D", O/D off, as much as possible. This will allow the transmission to get into 3rd, where the torque converter can lock. An unlocked torque converter generates a LOT of heat.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had a fluid leak in the cooler or hoses you added that caused the tranny to get low fluid level and fry, they would have a case to void a warranty I suppose. Still, it is worth the risk if you are in a climate or terrain that is causing your tranny to get hot.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joker112
im looking for a trans cooler can you guys point me in the right direction, also will that affect warranty
I'm having the mopar cooler dealer installed on my 2008 a week from tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
I'm having the mopar cooler dealer installed on my 2008 a week from tomorrow.
When you pick it up, (before you drive it), look at the connectors on each end of the cooler, and the two in the
driver's side wheel well. Look at the lines where they connect to the transmission, too, if they replaced the regular lines.
There should be no gap between the round plastic retainer, and the hexagonal metal fitting.
A gap there may allow the line to come unplugged. This has happened in the past. The owner's Jeep burned to the ground before he got home after having the lines replaced at the dealer.
After you drive for a short distance, stop and look for leakage at all the connections.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-27-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: engine clattering and "HOT OIL" warning