Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine clattering and "HOT OIL" warning

Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine clattering and "HOT OIL" warning

I have brought to the dealers attention the last oil change the clattering noise the engine makes when under strain, normally say driving on the beach. 2 times now I've got the "HOT OIL" warning while driving on the beach also. Almost sounds like when you ran low octane gas back in the day in something requiring premium. Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe obvious, but... Have you checked the oil?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

I don't get any engine clattering but have had the "HOT OIL" light come on once while driving on the beach. Sand wasn't really that thick either and I was moving along pretty good (around 3k RPMs). Is this just the result of the shitty engine? I have a 2011 BTW so no Pentastar.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by G DIESEL
I have brought to the dealers attention the last oil change the clattering noise the engine makes when under strain, normally say driving on the beach. 2 times now I've got the "HOT OIL" warning while driving on the beach also. Almost sounds like when you ran low octane gas back in the day in something requiring premium. Any thoughts?
I would be willing to bet you were in 4hi on the beach.

The clattering is most likely the engine pinging from being overloaded at too low an rpm.

Sand really taxes the drive train. It's just hard to move through it.

The hot oil warning is for the transmission fluid.
Get an aux transmission cooler.
Put it in 4lo, "D", O/D off, as much as possible. This will allow the transmission to get into 3rd, where the torque converter can lock. An unlocked torque converter generates a LOT of heat.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-27-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Put it in 4lo, "D", O/D off, as much as possible. This will allow the transmission to get into 3rd, where the torque converter can lock. An unlocked torque converter generates a LOT of heat.

Nailed it
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you drive on the beach, without a doubt, get a transmission cooler. Since I believe they were added in 2012, you wouldn't have one and it is a good investment. I drive on at Assateage National Seashore in Maryland and I think it was three years ago? I burned up my transmission. Luckily it was replaced under warranty but definitely a headache and a half.

The recall to get the "HOT OIL" indicator had just come out so I took it in for that and a few other things and the dealer "said" they installed it. The next weekend when I was on the beach, no indicator and the transmission was finished. I was an unhappy camper and laid into my dealership.

Since, I have installed the cooler and haven't had a problem since. Definitely worth it.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

im looking for a trans cooler can you guys point me in the right direction, also will that affect warranty
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx

The clattering is most likely the engine pinging from being overloaded at too low an rpm.

Sand really taxes the drive train. It's just hard to move through it.

Yep, had the same issue last summer while wheelin' my JK... very next mod was an aux cooler... No issues since! Very simple mod to complete yourself!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joker112
im looking for a trans cooler can you guys point me in the right direction, also will that affect warranty
I just picked up one from the local parts shop, nothing special. I forget what brand but it just straps to the radiator behind the grill. I talked to my dealership first and told them that if splicing two hoses to add a transmission cooler, to fix a known problem on jeeps, would void my warranty, that they were out of their minds. They agreed. haha

This is the write-up I followed with the exception of the mounting of the cooler itself
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...mission+cooler

Last edited by Optus; 03-27-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

thats what i was looking for thanks brother

Quick Reply: engine clattering and "HOT OIL" warning