Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Emergency Brake Adjustment on 2009 JK

Old 04-02-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake Adjustment on 2009 JK

Just bought a used 2009 JK. The emergency brake was weak, but I didn't really concern myself to much because I have adjusted E-brakes before with little effort. Today I crawled under the jeep to find the adjustment bolt for the cables. It seems the transmission is in the way. So I decided to replace the rear brake pads and adjust the E-brake under the rotors. It is better, but I wish I had adjusted them a little more. I am not looking forward to pulling everything back off again. Is there an adjustment along the cabling somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

The only adjustment is the star wheel at each wheel. And the e-brake is notorious for not holding. If you're getting anything, your luckier than many.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a dust plug on the inside of the dot shield that can be removed to adjust the parking brake. I need to fiddle with mine some but have not take the time. It is there just for show.

R/
Will
Old 04-04-2016, 02:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The star adjuster works for a few uses. The issue for me was the return coil spring. I replaced pads and adjusted but the best thing I did was install springs to the e brake assembly under the console. There is a YouTube of an Australian guy that explains well. He used some sort of bungee cord.

Ronjenx has a write up too which is great. If you squirt brake cleaner into the ebrake it can help. There may also be a broken spring end which will require replacement.

If you need a new one I have a spare you can have just pay shipping. Probably $20

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake Adjustment on 2009 JK