Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Electrical problem

Old 12-11-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical problem

Started my jeep up today, engine ran but wipers wouldn't turn off and had no power to any of my gauges or dash. After about 5 minutes everything kicked back on. Any clue?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

oh man... that sounds like a TIPM issue...
Old 12-12-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old is your battery? So many posts on here about failing batteries causing weird electrical issues. Hope it isn't a 'puter!
Old 12-12-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replaced the battery last year i believe. how bad will a tipm issue hurt my wallet?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by oletennessean
replaced the battery last year i believe. how bad will a tipm issue hurt my wallet?
Well, before you go replacing that TIPM, along the lines of White Devil, make SURE your ground is tight.

If the ground is tight, then you may want to take it by a dealership. I -THINK- they have a tool that can test the TIPM for functionality.

If you're mildly mechanically inclined, replacing the TIPM isn't so bad. The cost is what hurts, I think they are in the neighborhood of $300.

This link has instructions on replacing a TIPM.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...solved-266688/
Old 12-13-2015, 03:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Mine has done crazy stuff like that ten or so times over the last three years or so. I pull the TIPM (it is easy, but be careful with those plastic connectors and their varied release mechanisms), clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, and add a little dielectric grease to protect from moisture. It has worked so far, but there is that nagging suspicion that someday it might leave me stranded.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem