Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Electric plugs & Removing doors

Old 08-11-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric plugs & Removing doors

Hello, everyone!

I just bought my first Jeep EVER this week - a 2007 Sahara Unlimited! I have already started driving around topless and intend on doing so pretty much forever - thanks to all the advice I have read on this site... even with the 100+ degrees and humidity in Houston, it is still worth it!

My question is about step 2 of my new toy... step one was top down - now, step 2, how do I remove the doors? I understand there are lots of postings here on that already, and I have already removed (and tossed) all the bolts and made sure the doors slip-out easily. My specific question is about the plugs for the electric locks/windows. I have tried messing with the little red button, but it doesn't budge... any recommendations of where I can find photos (or youtube videos for example) showing how to mess with the little red button??? I have looked on several sites/forums and can't find easy to follow pics/videos, but I am sure they're out there...

Sorry for the long question for what I am sure is a direct answer, but I am excited to go topless and doorless asap!

Thank you all in advance for all your help!

I am sure I will have lots more posts in the weeks to come, and I know from all I have read (and learned) already, you are a great group of folks willing to help all the newbies. Thank you again.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

If the red buttons are like the one on my hardtop plug you first pull red lock switch up then press the black button to unplug. It took me a few tries with the manual in my lap.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah, you pull out the red tabs, then press the black part. Then, when you get it free, take a pliers and pull the red things out forever.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

After you've done it a few times the connectors will loosen up. Also, although I didn't pull out my red tabs, I never engage them anymore. The plug has a catch on it which you release when you press the black tab. It snaps into place when you reconnect the plug. The red tab just makes it impossible to press the black release tab. I've never had a connector accidentally fall out (over three years).
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the phrase "pull the tab out" could be misleading. Would be more accurate to say "slide the red tab over to the right".

First two times I tried to get my doors off I gave up in frustration. I had no problems with the red tab, instead I could not for the life of me figure out exactly how the black push down tab worked, it just did not seem to want to disconnect. Turns out I was applying pressure to the middle of the black tab, when I should have applied thumb pressure to just the extreme end of the tab (near where the wires enter). Unlike the red sliding tab, there is no audible "click" when you have successfully disengaged the two parts of the black plug, it will simply pull apart easily. It doesn't take a great deal of pressure, either.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have definitely given up several times due to frustration, but now I feel like I may understand what y'all mean. Can't wait to get off work now and give it a try - thank you for all the feedback!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you anti-seize or apply a lithium based grease to the hinge pins before putting the doors back on. This will make your life 100x easier in the spring to get the doors off.

Living in northern WI....I speak from experiance
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just remember the last step is to take the hook off that holds the wire housing and stops the door from swinging all the way around. I have taken my doors off hundreds of times and for some reason on monday i took the hook off and took my hand off the door. I wasnt able to catch it until after the mirror put a golf ball size dent on the top of the hood.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here ya go:

1. Slide the Red Locking Tab to the Right, until you hear a click.

2. Press the Black Release Tab (Shown just above my Thumb...), and pull the Connector straight down.

3. Remove Harness from Door Jamb Hook.

4. Remove Door.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Last edited by Blackbeard; 08-14-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Here ya go:

1. Slide the Red Locking Tab to the Right, until you hear a click.

2. Press the Black Release Tab (Shown just above my Thumb...), and pull the Connector straight down.

3. Remove Harness from Door Jamb Hook.

4. Remove Door.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

My thumb tab broke off any idea's on undoing the electric plugs without it?

Quick Reply: Electric plugs & Removing doors