Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Easier Rear Seat Entry for 2 doors!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the '08's have the passenger side seat belt relocated to the floor instead of the side of the seat. There is another thread that was ongoing about this, i will see if i can dig it up and post the link.

I went to the stealership to get the lower bracket to move the seatbelt, but it looks like the belt might be sewn around it, meaning you would need to buy the whole belt assembly, not jusat the lower bracket (unless you are willing to resew a seatbelt attachment point) Upon inspection of the parts list they had at the time, the '08 fiche showed the same parts and numbers as the '07?!?!???, even though we where physically comparing my '07 Jeep to an '08 side by side and they where obviously different, so they had no way to tell me what i would need to order, or even what the correct part number was. I have not been back since to see if they got an updated parts fiche. Someday i will try again.

Edit: See this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/please-confirm-08-2dr-rear-accesss-change-15126/ post #13 shows pictures of the lower passenger side floor mounted seatbelt bracket.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Fallen Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, crumb

So I guess I have to wait for some poor sole to total their 08 and grab the seat out of it.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amt97
OK -

The only con with this is the driver has to get out to allow for passengers to enter this way. My friend who is 6'3" and about 200# got in the back using this method tonight and it was much easier than trying to get in from the passenger side. Once I get my side steps, getting in the back seat shouldn't be as big of an issue as it used to be.

Hope that helps some of you!

It takes me quite a while to find the "sweet spot" for my driving seat.. once it's set, I loathe having to foul my seat adjustment to access the back. In any of my previous 2dr vechicles, the passenger side door has always been the prime portal for accessing the back seat.

And there's a steering wheel taking up space on the drivers side.

The configuration of the 2007 passenger side seat belt is simply dumb.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oZmonKey

I couldnt agree more. I have stated several times the engineer in charge of that should be fired (preferably out of a canon, point blank, into a brick wall).
It is the most assinine and down right dangerous idea they could have come up with. I let DC know that on my little form they sent in the mail about my new Jeep. I know it got circular filed, but it made me feel better to tell them to can the half-wit.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
It takes me quite a while to find the "sweet spot" for my driving seat.. once it's set, I loathe having to foul my seat adjustment to access the back. In any of my previous 2dr vechicles, the passenger side door has always been the prime portal for accessing the back seat.

And there's a steering wheel taking up space on the drivers side.

I couldn't agree more. A retrofit for 07 models is in order. TSB, anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

It seriously is stupid that they let that pass on the final revision 07 models.
Did any of the engineers actually try to access the back seat? Obviously not!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I carried my Jeep to have it Linexed I removed everything my self to save some money. With the passanger seat out the seat belt was just hanging there , when I picked up the Jeep ,the guy who Linexed my Jeep, also owns a four wheel drive mod shop, had attached it to the bottom of the seat belt retractor. When I questioned him about it he said that that is where they are on the TJS. So far it has worked for me, the only draw back is that it shortens the belt by 6 - 8 inches and if you pull it out too far to buckle in once you let the belt retract it can't be pulled back out until you let it go all the way back in.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

I didn't think you were suppposed to let people sit in the back seat of a 2 door.
Isn't that what the four door is for? 2 doors = me & possibly a supermodel in the passenger seat if she remembered to wash the jeep this week. Or the dog could sit there head hanging out of a window.

Start using the back seat & you'll get lumped with all of 4 door grocerie getter guys.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
I didn't think you were suppposed to let people sit in the back seat of a 2 door.
Isn't that what the four door is for? 2 doors = me & possibly a supermodel in the passenger seat if she remembered to wash the jeep this week. Or the dog could sit there head hanging out of a window.

Start using the back seat & you'll get lumped with all of 4 door grocerie getter guys.
Well, quite frankly ... From what I'm told the rear seat entry worked better in a TJ ... In the JK it's just a joke. I never owned a TJ (nor have I sat in the back seat of one) so I wouldn't know from first-hand experience ... but I see plenty of people here in SW Pennsylvania with peeps in the back seat of their 2 door TJs. I also have personally fit 7 (yes, 7) in my JK. 4 in the back, 3 in the front. It was not fun, but it was only for a short distance!

Plus, Jeep shouldn't advertise it as a 4-seater if it's really only supposed to have 2 people in it!

I know you were being sarcastic with your remark above, but if DCX purposely decided to ignore the rear seat entry on the JK in hopes that would persuade buyers to buy a 4 door JK, think again. I bought a 2 door Wrangler because a traditional Jeep has 2 doors, not 4. Let the flame wars begin! Just kidding. I like the styling of the 4 door JK, but it's just not for me. I'm a single, 21 year old guy. It would just be nice if they had made it even just a little bit easier for you to have friends in the back. Some of my friends even complain when they have to ride in my Jeep after they've done it once already. "Alan, I like your Jeep, but getting in the back seat sucks!"

Just my 2¢.

Last edited by amt97; 01-03-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2008 2 door and even with the updated seat belt location a fricken weasel would have a tough time getin in back, let a lone a dog or kids.
I remember my 1992 YJ's passenger side seat was on a scissor lift kind of hinge that moved up and out of the way, which is the least DC should have done for this configuration. I do believe they were trying to get people to buy longer wheelbase model for the back seat access convenience.

Last edited by REVERUP; 01-03-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

I was just trying to give the 2 door guys a hard time. I need something to do when I'm high centered in my 4 door.

Here's my thoughts on the giant step back for 2 door JK's.
I think the airbag sensor for the passenger seat did it. (Got rid of the scissor seat mechanism, not placed the seat belt so awkardly last year.)
I suspect that they decided to limit the seat's motion to avoid the posisibility of mangling the wiring harness with the swing foward seat design.

Does the current version of the passenger seat base work for two door as well as four? That alone would probably seal the deal by reducing the number of unique parts. And they probably did rationalize the weakness by saying "if they plan on using the back seat that much they'll buy the 4 door.

Quick Reply: Easier Rear Seat Entry for 2 doors!