Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

E brake

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brake

So I pull into my driveway and pull my E brake and I hear a loud snap. Now my E brake has no tension and is useless, does anyone know what could have happened?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup happened to me and very common. The tension spring in the handle assembly broke. You need to get the entire part replaced. I bought mine from the dealer for 50$ and replaced it myself. Very easy to do. There are a few threads on here about it. Try searching ebrake.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by illestJK
So I pull into my driveway and pull my E brake and I hear a loud snap. Now my E brake has no tension and is useless, does anyone know what could have happened?
Take a look at this thread to see how it works:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/
Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HeyBob
Yup happened to me and very common. The tension spring in the handle assembly broke. You need to get the entire part replaced. I bought mine from the dealer for 50$ and replaced it myself. Very easy to do. There are a few threads on here about it. Try searching ebrake.
How long did it take to replace? Went to the dealer today and they said it could be one of many things.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah if you were pulling on the brake when it popped its almost 99% what I said. Takes maybe an hour to replace. Very easy job 8 bolts total. Look at that thread to see the part that broke.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Take a look at this thread to see how it works:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/
Nice job Ron! As usual, this forum has better information than the dealer (except maybe where the ECUs are concerned).
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

That tread labeled the part that most likely broke as the clutch spring. It snaps around the area of the anchor block.

Quick Reply: E brake