Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

DW and Airbag Light??

Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DW and Airbag Light??

I was on the way to Atlanta yesterday for the WP concert, EPIC!! anyways, goin about 80mph and the road was segmented concrete, like a sidewalk kinda so it had cracks about every 15ft or so. For the first time ever, I experienced death wobble and scared the living shit out of me. Had to slow down to about 15mph on I-20 with substantial traffic. I then pulled over and checked the lugs and retorqued them becasue it felt like one of my wheels was falling off or something. they were all good. drove another 5 or so miles and it happend again. Scariest shit ive ever experienced in a vehicle. This time i noticed on the display pannel the airbag light was on. When I noticed this i got even more nervous, felt like the jeep was telling me im about to wreck. Roads were wet too. I stopped at the nearest exit and went to a station and retorqued TB, swaybar links, everything was correctly torqued. got back on the road. I've tried adjusting my toe because I think i have to much tow in, but i cannot get the turn knuckle on the tie rod to move. sprayed WD40 on it, hit it with a hammer, put a vise on it and still cant move it.

Anyways I know there are a million threads on DW, I was just curious about this airbag light coming on. I was supposed to drive back to Baton Rouge today but I do not feel safe to drive 600 miles in my JK right now.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DW sounds to me as if its either the alignment is still off, or you might have some bad bushings in your control arms. happened to me on my XJ.

The Airbag light though. It might have come on because of the violent shaking. If it went off after that and hasnt come on then its prob not an isssue. One of the sensors might have temp sent a signal to the ECU like a seatbelt tensioner. But if it is still on then you will prob have to take it in to a Dealer. Im not a rocket scientist but I think the only safety issue if it is stil on is that it might not deploy properly in case of an accident.

I get a kick when a car comes into the shop after an accident with maybe one bag deployed and the rescue units have cut the battery cables. I really cant blame them I know its for their own piece of mind and safety.

its a bit technical but they wont go off a second time less you pull a undeployed bag out and set pos and neg currant to them.

Quick Reply: DW and Airbag Light??