Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dumb questions: metric or standard?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb questions: metric or standard?

Great Forum!!

I am the proud new owner of a four door Steel Blue Sahara JK (my first Jeep). I was lucky enough just to walk into the dealer and walk out with it...

I have always carried tools in my vehicles and was hoping to put a few in the "hidden" compartment near the factory jack. Now the question: since semi-secure space is at a premium, will I get more out of metric sockets or standard sockets? I know I could just go look, but I was hoping to find out what other tools people take with them...

Thanks!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most stuff is metric but it wouldn't hurt to have standard just in case. Craftsman has good sets that come in little plastic boxes that fit in that storage spot nicely. I use mostly Snap-On at work but I have that storage area filled with Craftsman stuff just because if it gets stolen its no big loss, plus it pretty decent quality.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Unlike the TJ, virtually every nut and bolt on the JK is metric now. The most common sizes used throughout the JK are 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19 and 21mm. You will also want a very complete set of Torx Bits all the way up to T-55 as they are used often as well.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, Performance Tool makes some decent sockets and wrenches. Their Torx bits are really tough. I use them on impact guns all the time and they last just as long if not longer than Snap-On.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Great Forum!!

I am the proud new owner of a four door Steel Blue Sahara JK (my first Jeep). I was lucky enough just to walk into the dealer and walk out with it...
Rub it in!!! My dealer is playing silly buggers and dodging my questions... (^#&r%)*& :angry:

Violet (Violent) Rose

Quick Reply: Dumb questions: metric or standard?