Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

dumb headlight question

Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Oh good lord. I guess that's just too much work for some people.
Some one out there might have taken you literally is all I was saying. Not in any way that it was too much work. Jeepers! Calm down.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LONG SKINNY T-10 screw driver

earlier posts state t-15 but my adj screws are t-10,my bumper/winch install makes grill R+I a little difficult got small,long t-10 from my snap-on dealer and use a little masking tape on recessed painted area to protect paint,able to easily adjust headlights
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=HappyCurmudgeon;554799],.......I might as well have asked him to do a home vasectomy for the look I got. ~differnt strokes i guess.

Ouch!

What are you doing to aim? Just parking out on a dark road at night to aim the beams may be a little dangerous.

How far away should you be from a wall or such to come up with a decent aiming point?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back wall of Wal-Mart at night, You may want permission...Wal-Mart gets a little snooty. *L*
  • 25-30ft away from the wall.
  • Measure from the ground to the center of your headlights.
  • Mark a spot on the wall that distance up from the ground.
  • Adjust them so the top of the beam pattern is at that mark.
That's a pretty good ballpark erroring slightly on the low side. You may be able to get away with adjusting them upwards after a few trial runs.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
back wall of Wal-Mart at night, You may want permission...Wal-Mart gets a little snooty. *L*
  • 25-30ft away from the wall.
  • Measure from the ground to the center of your headlights.
  • Mark a spot on the wall that distance up from the ground.
  • Adjust them so the top of the beam pattern is at that mark.
That's a pretty good ballpark erroring slightly on the low side. You may be able to get away with adjusting them upwards after a few trial runs.
That's exactly right about the reference mark on the wall. It is at the same height has the center of your headlights. Don't let anyone tell you any different.
However, the top of the bright part of the beam should be 2" below the line on the wall. Try it and drive it at night to see if your high and low beams are reaching out to your satisfaction. You will find you can raise them a little and not bother other drivers. You could even try it as HappyCurmudgeon said, and go from there, but the 2" below is by the book.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
I did mine with the grill on. You need a #15 torx wrench. If you get a long thin one like a screwdriver, you can reach the adjuster screw with the grill in place. The screws are at 10 o'clock on the passenger side and 2 o'clock on the driver's side. Takes about half a minute to do. I've turned mine 3/4 of a turn counterclockwise. My high beams were like your's, pointed up in the trees originally. Much better now.
I had to give mine four full turns to get them back down. Anyone else have to adj that much
Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That's exactly right about the reference mark on the wall. It is at the same height has the center of your headlights. Don't let anyone tell you any different.
However, the top of the bright part of the beam should be 2" below the line on the wall. Try it and drive it at night to see if your high and low beams are reaching out to your satisfaction. You will find you can raise them a little and not bother other drivers. You could even try it as HappyCurmudgeon said, and go from there, but the 2" below is by the book.
I'm just curious if this is a state by state thing like is there certain laws for headlights? I need to adjust mine after the IPF's. I didn't know if there were laws you had to follow or if it was an auto industry rule of thumb. right now, my brights are shining out into no where and the driving lights are not that great. someone else on the forum suggested I adjust. I'm assuming this works regardless how much lift and tires you have?

thanks again
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by captjay
I'm just curious if this is a state by state thing like is there certain laws for headlights? I need to adjust mine after the IPF's. I didn't know if there were laws you had to follow or if it was an auto industry rule of thumb. right now, my brights are shining out into no where and the driving lights are not that great. someone else on the forum suggested I adjust. I'm assuming this works regardless how much lift and tires you have?

thanks again
I don't know if states have their own laws regarding specific headlight adjustment
procedures.
You can't go wrong going by the vehicle manual, though.

The big thing to remember is, the line on the wall should be at the same height as the center of the headlights.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't know if states have their own laws regarding specific headlight adjustment
procedures.
You can't go wrong going by the vehicle manual, though.

The big thing to remember is, the line on the wall should be at the same height as the center of the headlights.
vehicle manual, haha what's that? I haven't seen mine since I bought it. But thanks again, will follow the other posts you and Happy wrote

Quick Reply: dumb headlight question