Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

dumb headlight question

Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default dumb headlight question

Are the headlights easy to aim, or does it require a special tool from the dealer?

I've got to lower these things. They are aimed so high, the brights are useless.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you just need a torx screwdriver or a torx bit
Old 06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by husker_shoe
you just need a torx screwdriver or a torx bitill
Grille off or on?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine with the grill on. You need a #15 torx wrench. If you get a long thin one like a screwdriver, you can reach the adjuster screw with the grill in place. The screws are at 10 o'clock on the passenger side and 2 o'clock on the driver's side. Takes about half a minute to do. I've turned mine 3/4 of a turn counterclockwise. My high beams were like your's, pointed up in the trees originally. Much better now.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's much easier with the grill off. You don't have a chance to scratch your paint that way. It's very easy to remove. Just pull. Don't forget the turn signal harnesses, though.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
It's much easier with the grill off. ...
Yeah, but if you're like me and pulling the grill means also unbolting the winch, you find a T15 Torx screwdriver. It's easy to reach that way. If you have a Torx socket bit, find a Torx screwdriver instead.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A #3 screwdriver (small flathead) works perfect. No grill pull, no scratches, just easy aiming of the light.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

If you go with the torx screwdriver, pick one where the shank in no bigger around than the the torx bit on the end. This way, you will not have to remove the grill. And, by the way, removing the grill is not "just pull". There are push fasteners to remove along the top.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If you go with the torx screwdriver, pick one where the shank in no bigger around than the the torx bit on the end. This way, you will not have to remove the grill. And, by the way, removing the grill is not "just pull". There are push fasteners to remove along the top.
Oh good lord. I guess that's just too much work for some people.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine with the grill off, it was easier with the tools I have, but a lot of people have those long torx drivers, those work too without removing it.

A friend of mine who of all things is a welder by trade is scared silly of doing anything mechanical, when I told him to just pop out the six or so push rivets, disconnect the blinkers and give it a tug, I might as well have asked him to do a home vasectomy for the look I got. ~differnt strokes i guess.

There is a thread or two around on grill removal, it really is simple (as long as you dont have lights or a winch in the way) and it wouldnt be a bad idea to learn how to pop it off, your more than likely going to want to get back there for something else soon enough anyhow, no time like the present.

Edit: Oh, yes, the headlights are dumb. Next question?

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 06-17-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: dumb headlight question