Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dual Top option - does the softtop need to comeout?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dual Top option - does the softtop need to comeout?

Hi All - Life is good. 400 miles on my week old 2010 sahara unlimted. I have got a question on the dual top opin. I only have the dvd owners manual and cannot find if it's ok to leave the soft top inside the hardtop. Does anyone know if there is an issue? I will be ordering the paper manual but haven't had time as of yet.

Thanks is advance!

Last edited by on_order; 01-24-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: soft top removale specific to year
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

as far as I recall there was some red tags on mine saying that the soft top needs to come out when the hard top is on. Reason was damage to the soft top can occur. Besides, you'll have that much more room with only one top on your Jeep.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

You'll want to get it out, the sooner the better. Soft-Top fabric will develop wear spots due to constant road vibration.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Get the Softtop out

You should see plenty of warning signs on the softtop. It needs to be removed to avoid wear. It might look fine now with the hardtop on, but you need to remove it.

You need to remove the hardtop inorder to get the softtop off, then replace the hardtop. It a pain, but worth it.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

It's supposed to come out. However I drove with mine in for a few months (until it got warmer) until I took my hard top off and didn't have a problem.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Guys - Thanks for the answers. I am kind of pissed about the paper copy of the manual caused the 2010 dvd sucks! I will try to get the top out without taking the hardtop off cause a couple of other posts said it's possible and i am an ass like that. If it does work I will post how the hell to do it.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure about the JK, so if someone with the dual top would chime in and verify that would be cool as I could be wrong.

All of the TJ models that came with the dual top option had the soft top sitting in the back just as they do now in the JK. However it was not completely assembled due to the fact that once it was, it would not fit under the hard top any longer. After I assembled mine there was no way to get it back under the hard top again without taking it apart.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

You won't get it out without moving the hard top back at least a few inches to gain access to the bolts securing the soft top to the mounts. I did mine this way and was carefull not to scratch the top edge of the bed rail when moving the hard top but was able to get the soft top out with out having to actually remove the hard top.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just removed the soft top from the dual top unlimited today using my wife's assistance. I unbolted the hard top bolts and the bolts holding on the soft top components.

While sitting in the rear of the Jeep I pushed the hard top up for the soft top assembly to slide straight back. My wife pulled the soft top assembly out through the opening. I dropped the hardtop back down into place and installed the bolts. Done in less than 15 minutes.

JN
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an abridged version of a youtube video with a guy (albeit a bit short but strong) walking under his hard top and waking down a ladder with it on his shoulders.

Quick Reply: Dual Top option - does the softtop need to comeout?