Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

dual factory sub woofers?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual factory sub woofers?

Sounds simple enough.
Just wondering if any wiring/mounting issues
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by az-gunner
Sounds simple enough.
Just wondering if any wiring/mounting issues
Dual subwoofers are overkill in my opinion n take up a ton of room. Check out 3-way speakers and one sub. Sound quality will be amazing and u won't have the bass drowning everything out. Anyways just my opinion. I put 3 way speakers in front. 2 way in soundbar (didn't have 3 ways that would fit) n a sub in back. I love my music loud.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You could make it work but you would want to run a different amp. The factory sub is a dual 2 ohm so runs at 1 ohm. So running a second sub off it would either put to much load on the factory amp, or not enough which wouldn't produce enough power to push it
Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly if you want better sound drop a better quality 8" sub in the factory box and put a bigger amp to it. It would give a huge improvement in the bass
Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

I was thinking about this If I could find another factory amp and sub for sale.
I just have no idea how to wire it up.

space isn't of concern to me.
I've been jeepin' since 93'
a trunk is a luxury I have long since given up on.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Honestly if you want better sound drop a better quality 8" sub in the factory box and put a bigger amp to it. It would give a huge improvement in the bass
What are some recommendations? Which subs drop in and sound better?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ranjr

What are some recommendations? Which subs drop in and sound better?
A shallow mount sub will drop right in, otherwise you will need to maka a spacer ring to offset the depth of most subs. As far as brands its all a matter of taste, but if you plan on using the factory amp you need to find an efficient sub that doesn't take much power to push it. In other words don't look for one that will handle 1000 watts, look for one that takes 100-200 max. Now if you plan on using a bigger sub amp than you can get one that holds more power, which will definitely sound much better and be louder
Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
A shallow mount sub will drop right in, otherwise you will need to maka a spacer ring to offset the depth of most subs. As far as brands its all a matter of taste, but if you plan on using the factory amp you need to find an efficient sub that doesn't take much power to push it. In other words don't look for one that will handle 1000 watts, look for one that takes 100-200 max. Now if you plan on using a bigger sub amp than you can get one that holds more power, which will definitely sound much better and be louder
X2 that.

The replacement speaker needs to be better than the stock speaker or it is wasted effort. There are two ways to get more kick from the same size speaker.

1. The new speaker is at least 3 DB more efficient than the old one. (Hard to know because you won't know the efficiency of the old one.)

2. The new speaker has the same efficiency as the old one, but it can handle at least twice as much power - and you have twice as much power available.

Either way the cone is going to move a lot farther on the new speaker so be sure the grill can clear the maximum speaker excursion.

Or install the second stock setup if you don't mind taking up the space. The subs will work MUCH better if they are mounted right beside each other so close to each other that they touch. >>Be sure and give the second factory sub its own amplifier<<. If you do the install and get less bass instead of more, one speaker is hooked up backwards.

Quick Reply: dual factory sub woofers?