Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dry Start, how can you tell?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks get ready to head over to the Dealer !

FINALLY! I got rid of the noise.... well, mostly anyway. For those of you who suffer this noise, read on:

I sent a PM to angryhippie and got the low down on how he fixed his clicking/tapping noise. Armed with that info, I sent the video I put in my first post to every service department of every jeep dealer in Denver. Every one of them said I had a problem and should bring it in. So, I called around and talked to the service advisors. I explained that I'd done my research and replacing the lifters makes no difference and would they be willing to try other solutions if that didn't work? A few said yes, a few said no "that's the chrysler recommended solution", and some said "there was nothing they could do, some are just like that".

I took it to Go Southwest Jeep. They let it sit overnight and heard the noise on startup. They replaced the lifters per Chrysler's instructions. They confidently assured me that this would fix the problem. Brought the jeep home, next morning fired it up and walla, same noise, same loudness, same duration. Drove straight back to the dealer and then took about an hour discussing the problem with their head technician and the service advisor. They told me "there is nothing we can do". At that point I got pretty fired up because I only brought the jeep to them in the first place since they said they would pursue other ways to fix it, and I told them time and time again when I brought it in that lifters would not solve it. I asked the technician to try the fix angryhippie told me about (rockers and bolts). He claimed that these were totally unrelated and would not do anything. Finally he admitted, "I've been in this business 20 years and I've learned not to say never, so if you want I'll write a letter to Chrysler's engineers." He went on to say that this is actually not a "problem" anyway and is not really a dry start and no damage is being done to the engine. I don't buy it, so I said yes wite the letter to Chrysler and lets follow this through.

Couple days later, I got a call that the jeep was ready. I picked it up and got my service ticket back, which had the following info on it:

(2) 4781184AA SHAFT-ROCKER AR
(12) 6506521AA BOLT-HEADER POI
(2) 6506522AA BOLT HEADER POI

PERFORMED COLD START AND COULD HEAR THE ROCKERS TAP FOR ABOUT 5 TO 10 SECONDS. CALLED STARS (CASE #129926) STARS SUGGESTED TO REPLACE BOTH ROCKER SHAFTS AND ALL ROCKER SHAFT BOLTS. R AND R PULLED BOTH VALVE COVERS AND REPLACED THE ROCKER SHAFTS AND BOLTS AND PERFORMED ROAD TEST AND THE TAPPET NOISE IS GONE AT THIS TIME.

I have started jeep up a few times since and its REALLY cold out. It taps for less than a second much quiter and faster than before and then its gone. HUGE improvement over what I had.

Hope this info helps someone else with this problem. You have to be persistant and you need to bring these part numbers with you. Insist they call Chrysler (or "Stars" whatever that is) and ask them to reference my case number if they don't believe this will help. good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tuto
Folks get ready to head over to the Dealer !
Sounds like you had somthing way wrong compared to mine, my noises lasted only a second or two at most. But like i posted before large capacity filter with anti drainback has lessoned that to maybe a 1/2 sec.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like you had somthing way wrong compared to mine, my noises lasted only a second or two at most. But like i posted before large capacity filter with anti drainback has lessoned that to maybe a 1/2 sec.
My jeep has 6000 miles on it. After the first Oil change at the dealer the "dry starts" started. In colder weather is worse.

I'm just giving everybody a heads up. A few dealers claim that it is normal.
If you have the "dry start" dont wait until you hit 40,000 miles and your engines goes.

By the way the repairs were not in my jeep. I'm still working to get to the botton of the "dry starts" on my.

I have tried Mopar,K&N,Fram, Mobil oil filters with 5w-20 Synthetic Oil and ALL of the filters did NOT fix the problem. There is something else going here.

How about if all of the jeep owners that are having the "dry starts" write a "group" Letter to the manufacturer? Maybe that way we can make some noise and get their attention.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could this be happening because of the relatively thin 5W-20 oil which is recommend by Jeep?

Has anybody tried 10W-30 oil to see if it makes a difference?

Mabar
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mabar
Could this be happening because of the relatively thin 5W-20 oil which is recommend by Jeep?

Has anybody tried 10W-30 oil to see if it makes a difference?

Mabar
The 5W20 is supposed to be for the colder weather If you look at the write up on oil change WOL has in the write ups he says he uses 5W20 what jeep recommends, but if you look at the pics he actually has 10W30. Maybe it will help
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I plugged my Jeep in last night and this morning when I started it, no knocking sounds. I wonder if it's possible that when the temperatures get really cold outside, the oil gets thicker...gels up a bit, and then that slows it from getting to where it needs to go right away.
Did the same thing last night. Left the Jeep outside but plugged it in. Was minus 13 this morning which means I shoulda had dry start tapping and a sharp noise from the power steering pump. I had neither. REally starting to wonder if 0w20 synth would help with this problem.... but I don't want to risk my warranty

Quick Reply: Dry Start, how can you tell?