Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dry Start, how can you tell?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a video clip of my dry (cold) start this morning.

4F, sat in the driveway cold for about 6 hours brand new mobil1 5-20, and fram TG3614.

Most mornings I'll hear the valves clacking for about a second. When it's super cold like it's been the past few days, I get a low pitched belt sound + valves.

Going to pick up some filters from Mopar and Ford to see if that helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianwon/5384837354/ I'll take another video tomorrow morning, but with the camera (iphone) under the jeep so you dont hear all the other noise inside the cabin.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bkw
Took a video clip of my dry (cold) start this morning.

4F, sat in the driveway cold for about 6 hours brand new mobil1 5-20, and fram TG3614.

Most mornings I'll hear the valves clacking for about a second. When it's super cold like it's been the past few days, I get a low pitched belt sound + valves.

Going to pick up some filters from Mopar and Ford to see if that helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianwon/5384837354/
I'll take another video tomorrow morning, but with the camera (iphone) under the jeep so you dont hear all the other noise inside the cabin.
Makes sense to me. The belt probably squeals because it's trying to move the cold, thick, ATF in the power steering pump and the quick little rattle is because your lifters have leaked down and it takes a second for the cold, thick, oil to get to the top end of the engine to refill them.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Always read about this problem on the fourm...never experienced it UNTIL I switch to Mobil 1 Syn 5-20 oil and a Mobil 1 filter.

I will be changing back to Mopar next change.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

so thats what that noise is. I thought it was a bearing...or maybe my problem is different it sounds more bottom end. Oh well lifetime powertrain
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vernnz
Not telling you how to live your life but...

I got a Mobil filter once. It was on my JK for 2 days. I pulled it off, threw it in the trash, installed a Bosch and topped my oil off again. Valves tapping for 2 seconds at EVERY start is not a good thing and it does hurt over time.
Not according to Toyota they refer to it in my 2006 Tacoma operators manual it states its normal. I'm not saying its a good thing but I wouldn't be to alarmed by it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Having the same issue. I put on a Fram TG 3614 and the first day sounded great, but second day heard the quick knock sound. We'll see how day three goes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Simple question.

Where, in the owners manual, Does it reads to use an Oil Filter with an Anti-drain valve in it

Folks there is something else going here.
I have used Mobil, Original FIlter, K&N all with the recommended Motor Oil and I still get the Dry Starts and Yes even the Fram filter fail.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tuto
Simple question.

Where, in the owners manual, Does it reads to use an Oil Filter with an Anti-drain valve in it

I have used Mobil, Original Filter, K&N all with the recommended Motor Oil and I still get the Dry Starts and Yes even the Fram filter fail.
I would have to agree with you. I've used several different filters and I don't get any noise and many times my Jeep sets for several days . Even when I change the oil no valve noise on start up. I always thought that was kind of strange.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tuto
Simple question.

I have used Mobil, Original FIlter, K&N all with the recommended Motor Oil and I still get the Dry Starts and Yes even the Fram filter fail.
You are right I've looked through the manual (09) and the only thing it says about oil filter is Free Flow. On the other hand it does say in the power steering section that upon initial start up in cold weather the power steering fluid is thicker and can cause a noise for a second. I'm starting to think that is what it is.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I read on the forum a long time ago about using a "larger" capacity filiter. So i went to the larger one and am yet to have a single dry startup even in the blistering cold.

its PH3600 for fram or TG3600 for the expensive one its a bit longer than the stock filter.

Quick Reply: Dry Start, how can you tell?