Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dry Start, how can you tell?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck87
A good way to tell if your dry starting other then the noise you get is to turn the key to accessory wait for the oil light on the dash to go off then start the jeep, if the oil light comes back on your dry starting. I tried a bosh filter and got dry starts every day so I switched back to a mopar and have had no dry starts so far even if it's parked on a incline. Hope that helps
X2 this is correct. I believe we have been through this before. The oil filter is horizontal so if the ADBV is not seated properly or leaking you will get a dry start knock or tick when the vehicle is started after sitting for approx 8 hours or longer. Please do a search on anti drain back valves on this forum and you'll find alternative oil filters to use.
Cheers
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Heres one...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...in+back+valves
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Same here. Oil drains from the heads naturally to the pan and does not go through the filter to get there. I mean, when you put in your oil through the oil hole on top of the head cover, it doesn't go through the filter....it goes through the drain holes which eventually go to the pan. The filter has nothing to do with this.
:rotfl mao2:
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Same here. Oil drains from the heads naturally to the pan and does not go through the filter to get there. I mean, when you put in your oil through the oil hole on top of the head cover, it doesn't go through the filter....it goes through the drain holes which eventually go to the pan. The filter has nothing to do with this.
Well, you're right, bud, but you're missing the point, and maybe some others are, too. Try this on:

The valvetrain is the last thing to get pressurized oil to it. The (leaked down) hydraulic lifters make the most noise on a cold start. If the oil filter doesn't have a properly working anti-drainback valve, the filter will have drained somewhat. So, when the engine starts, the oil pump has to re-fill the oil filter before that oil can make its way through the bottom end bearings and finally up into the valvetrain to refill those lifters. Meanwhile, they have too much lash and are rattling around. Regardless of which filter is used, if the lifters have leaked down over time, the engine will rattle when it's started. A filter with a good anti-drainback valve just makes the rattles go away quicker.

Hope that helps...somebody.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plugged my Jeep in last night and this morning when I started it, no knocking sounds. I wonder if it's possible that when the temperatures get really cold outside, the oil gets thicker...gels up a bit, and then that slows it from getting to where it needs to go right away.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I plugged my Jeep in last night and this morning when I started it, no knocking sounds. I wonder if it's possible that when the temperatures get really cold outside, the oil gets thicker...gels up a bit, and then that slows it from getting to where it needs to go right away.
My guess is that since you plugged it in, the oil was thinner when you started it so it got circulated quicker.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tslewisz
My guess is that since you plugged it in, the oil was thinner when you started it so it got circulated quicker.
Yah, that's what I was trying to get at. I think it makes sense though. I'll just keep mine plugged in when it's really cold.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

But I shouldn't have to plug it in at -2 just prevent this knocking from happening.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

I was having the same noise on a cold start. I changed to the Fram tough guard today and hopes it fixes the issue. Do I need to replace the anti drain back thingee too or should this fix it?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

No, it's part of the filter.

Quick Reply: Dry Start, how can you tell?