Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driving the 6 speed manual

Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Well, the engine has zero low end, thats why you need to rev it to get power. However, it does not "like" to be revved. Its a horribly balanced engine with no counter balance shafts (like just about every modern V6 has, even those dating back to the late 80's). Which is why it gets loud as the RPM go up, and why it never idles as smooth as more modern engines.

I wish my Jeep had a 4.0 in it. The low end grunt of an i6 cannot be matched by a V6. I could care less about top end HP, I want low to mid range torque.
Did your last jeep have 3:21's in it also? I sort of doubt it. The torque in the 4L crapped out at mid rpm's. The V6's do a better job. My guess is that you have to be in 4Lo whenever you are offroad.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Did your last jeep have 3:21's in it also? I sort of doubt it. The torque in the 4L crapped out at mid rpm's. The V6's do a better job. My guess is that you have to be in 4Lo whenever you are offroad.
I am always in 4 Lo off road, regardless of which Jeep I am driving. I live in very steep rocky terrain. No mud or sand here to go fast through.

Personally I prefer an engine that has tons of low end, and goes to mid range rpm when driving a truck or Jeep. High end HP is useless to me where I am. I do no mud and no sand. Just crawling. When crawling, low end torque is everything.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious what you mean by "terrible revving enginge"?

I shift about 2500 when going lazy and economical, 2-4k most other times and 4-5 when I want to keep it on the peak of the torque curve.

Somewhere between 5200-6K it seems to limit out at times.
What he means is its a very poorly balanced engine. It will build power at upper RPM yes. But it does not run smoothly up there.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
I usually just shift base on RPMs. i shift between 3000 and 4000 RPM.
3000 to 4000 rpms?..noway I shift right about at 2800 rpms...
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

That dyno sheet was originally shown in a JP Magazine review of the JK (where their biggest complain was the engine). It came directly from Chrysler, and is not a real dyno sheet, its a target that they were shooting for. The V6 in my JK will not pull well below 1000rpm. It bucks and sputters and eventually dies. With every 258/4.0 I have driven, they pull smoothly down to 400rpm. Which is NICE off road.

Something a dyno doesn't show is rotational mass. The V6 in the JK is *WAY* easier to stall than an inline 6. Not to mention an inline 6 is naturally harmonically balanced (the only engine that runs smoother is a V12). Plus, when you have 7 main bearings, and only 1 piston per journal, it makes for a very strong engine. The 4.0 (and the 258/232 that it was based on) has proven itself for the past 35 years as being an extremely reliable engine, known for having a lot of low end grunt. I have almost 250k miles on the 258 in my other Jeep, and it still runs extremely well.

I would gladly give up a few more HP at an RPM that I never use to pick up grunt at the RPM that I use the most.
It is a WOT sheet.

V6's do not idle anywhere near 400K and the electronics are not programmed for it. Stall speed also has to due with your gearing. Try stalling it in 4Lo.

Inline anythings are more difficult to balance, a 7 cylinder inline is very much smoother than a 6.

Wnat more torque? then get some decent gears.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Well, the engine has zero low end, thats why you need to rev it to get power. However, it does not "like" to be revved. Its a horribly balanced engine with no counter balance shafts (like just about every modern V6 has, even those dating back to the late 80's). Which is why it gets loud as the RPM go up, and why it never idles as smooth as more modern engines.

I wish my Jeep had a 4.0 in it. The low end grunt of an i6 cannot be matched by a V6. I could care less about top end HP, I want low to mid range torque.
the only time I REV mine much is wheelin..like in the snow I can get it up to 5 grand easy...doesn't seem that bad wheeling but on the highway..it sounds like it wants to blow..lol
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

What he means is its a very poorly balanced engine. It will build power at upper RPM yes. But it does not run smoothly up there.
You've gotta be kidding me. There is absolutely no problem running up there, none whatsoever. Most of my driving is in the upper RPM's, and the Jeep dances between lanes like a champ.

I think some of you guys are blaming a lot of stuff on the engine when it is your gearing and tire sizes. Don't believe me? Try a real test drive with something like a Rubi or any Jeep that has 4:10 gears/six speed. I think you'll change your minds unless that sucker has been driven/broken in slowly. We all have after all, DBW Jeeps
Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
i never met a tractor that was fun to drive.
Need to borrow this guys,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlq1BPsDvo

Last edited by 999666; 03-08-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think some of you guys are blaming a lot of stuff on the engine when it is your gearing and tire sizes. Don't believe me? Try a real test drive with something like a Rubi or any Jeep that has 4:10 gears/six speed. I think you'll change your minds unless that sucker has been driven/broken in slowly. We all have after all, DBW Jeeps
My 6 speed Rubicon isn't gonna win many races, but it does fine. The engine definitely doesn't mind revving and is smooth at higher RPM. I actually find my engine turning high RPM 4-5K inadvertently sometimes when riding around town with the top off. Sometimes I forget what gear I'm in and its smooth and I can't hear the engine revving and don't notice till I glance at the tach.

Quick Reply: Driving the 6 speed manual