Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driving the 6 speed manual

Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't really answer my question... But I'm guessing from your reply you mean if I go into R instead of 6, the transmission and rest of the drive train will basically tear itself apart trying to reverse the Jeep?

Seems pretty stupid to design the transmission with the highest moving speed gear position beside the reverse position. Sounds like a high-speed accident waiting to happen from loss of control.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
6th gear kind of scares the crap out of me too... I really wish they'd have put reverse beside 1st or 5th.

What does happens if you accidentally go into reverse instead of 6th? Does the transmission have a fail-safe to prevent it? Is there some method internally that would prevent it from blowing your transmission up or tearing the drive train from your Jeep?

Makes me miss my '04 TJ's 5 speed.
It wouldn't go into reverse. It would just grind. I don't understand why you guys are so afraid of this...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Weeds
Starting in 2nd, winding to 3600 rpm, then to fourth and 3600 rpm then to 6th. Works just fine with stock Rubi.

I will take 4th gear to redline when passing on a two lane.
x2 on a stock 6 speed Rubicon.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl JK
It wouldn't go into reverse. It would just grind. I don't understand why you guys are so afraid of this...
Grind it till you find it
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The damn thing will grind and you back out FAST, and I mean FAST, if you hit reverse instead of 6th at highway speed. I've done it twice, about 4.4 milliseconds each time, both times in the last month and I've had it since June
Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rangleme
Grind it till you find it
Lol, I've never accidentally put it into reverse. I was just saying that's the worst thing that would happen. Its not like it would go into gear and you'd spin out of control and destroy your Jeep.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

You would have to really try to put it into reverse. Its spring loaded, and you would have to be pushing the shifter to the right pretty hard.

The only transmission I have ever hit reverse on is a T18a 4sp. Reverse (for all but the last version) was right next to 3rd. It was no spring loaded. And when you were shifted into each, the shifter only moved about 1" between the two.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 AM
JK Freak

It is physically impossible to shift the transmission into reverse going down the highway. Period.

If you move the shifter over too far and try, you will hear and feel a grinding gear, ad you will know. Not scary. If people are really afraid of this, then I don't think I can help you.

As for the 4.0l vs the 3.8l, I totally prefer the 3.8. It is an anemic little thing, but at least it can wind up and get moving. Who ever said it does not like to rev up has something wrong. That's what i like about it. It can rev up.

I too think the 4.0 was overrated. It was bulletproof and very reliable, easily going over 200k miles with not issues, but for HP and torque? Low end was just OK, and top end, forget about it. Yes, I had them both. The 4.0 was basically a small tractor engine (not an opinion, a fact). i never met a tractor that was fun to drive. Got the job done and that's all.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hrmm... Ok, less scary now. Here's another manual transmission related question for y'all.

I have a tendency when I'm sitting at lights to have the clutch fully depressed, transmission in 1st gear, and my right foot on the brake. (I like to be ready to move if something comes flying at me.)

Should I be sitting with the transmission in neutral and my foot off the clutch peddle? Will leaving the clutch fully depressed while I'm sitting there cause the clutch to wear prematurely?

I've driven every standard I've had this way without any problems... Just never really thought about it until now.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

From what I've been told and read, yes it will wear prematurely by doing what you are doing.

Quick Reply: Driving the 6 speed manual