Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driving the 6 speed manual

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
After you put it into reverse going 70 a few times.
Been there done that a few times.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda funny, when I test drove my JK I didn't realize it was a 6 speed. I've been driving a 5 speed so I never shifted into 6th gear and didn't notice anything odd. Once I got it and was paying more attention I realized, "hey, there's another gear to go"!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
No not really a problem unless you are redlining which you wouldn't be at 70. Or at least you wouldn't if you have the 4.10 gears. You will get used to the six speed though. After you put it into reverse going 70 a few times.
The worst part is when you do that as you're test driving it...twice.
Atleast i've only done it in mine once.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
The thing to remember about the JK's 6-speed is that 5th is the 1:1 ratio gear, not 4th (as it is in a 5 speed box). 6th is your overdrive ratio; some people (myself included when I first got my JK) think that 5th & 6th are both overdrive ratios, as they are on some other 6 speed boxes out there.
Can someone explain this to me a little more. I know what the 1:1 ratio is, but what does it matter whether 6th is overdrive or 5th and 6th are?
Isn't everything just relative to RPM, or is there some other factor? And yes I realize this may make no sense whatsoever, but i don't know how else to say it.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Some vehicles have 2 overdrives. For example, 5th might be 0.75:1 and 6th might be 0.5:1. Our 6spd only has 1 overdrive. 6th is 0.84:1, I think. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've looked at that info.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uwisuwerme7
Can someone explain this to me a little more. I know what the 1:1 ratio is, but what does it matter whether 6th is overdrive or 5th and 6th are?
Isn't everything just relative to RPM, or is there some other factor? And yes I realize this may make no sense whatsoever, but i don't know how else to say it.
1:1 is the last gear ratio before TQ from the engine starts to decrease with the hope that lower RPM's will boost fuel milage in the long haul & to quiet the egine noise while cruising.
Problem with it is any load while in OD will waste fuel as their is now less TQ (becomes wasted heat energy & or stress to the drivetrain) to overcome the cause of what ever the load is.
So if you have a load you'll be more fuel efficient and have all the engines available TQ if you do not use an OD.
Things like tractor trailers need many OD's since they will have extreamly high diff ratio's to get very heavy loads moving from low speeds, but once in motion again TQ isn't needed so OD comes into play once again for the long hauls.

Nowadays they even add "Variable Displacement" to turn off cylinders reducing engine power when not needed and saving a lot more fuel.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glennco
Wow Tommy, I typically shift around 2000-2500 rpms. The 3.8 is a terrible revving engine.
I disagree. Its not a sports cars, but it likes to rev just fine. I find that mine doesn't have much power till 2k RPM and it pulls better to the red line than my 4.0l did. It crapped out ~4k RPM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, this engine like to rev.

It really does not hurt my fuel mileage to rev it up. This engine reminds me of my old Acura Legend, nothing happened until 2500 to 3000 rpm.

Drive it hard if its under warranty.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the engine has zero low end, thats why you need to rev it to get power. However, it does not "like" to be revved. Its a horribly balanced engine with no counter balance shafts (like just about every modern V6 has, even those dating back to the late 80's). Which is why it gets loud as the RPM go up, and why it never idles as smooth as more modern engines.

I wish my Jeep had a 4.0 in it. The low end grunt of an i6 cannot be matched by a V6. I could care less about top end HP, I want low to mid range torque.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wife and son both fear the 6th gear.. they're afraid of hitting reverse, in spite of my assurances...

On the good side, they dont borrow my Jeep when they're gonna get on the highway

Quick Reply: Driving the 6 speed manual