Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driveshaft Exploded and My EVAP Canister Caught on Fire

Old 11-24-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in the hot rod racing world we use driveshaft safety loops to keep the shaft from banging around and destroying parts... is that not something that is done in the lifted JK world?

-Christopher
Old 11-24-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
Am I missing something? How is this not the lifts fault?
Agreed. Not Jeep's Fault
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

That is crazy almost the same thing happened to my 07 about 5 months ago with around the same mileage. Took it dealership, guy from insurance company came and looked at said the jeep looked fine and had not been abused, but they would not cover the rear drive shaft or evap because the reason the driveshaft broke was due to the lift. I was pissed!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, very rarely does someone use them. A large thing to deal with is the articulation that a lifted Jeep can go through, compare to a road car.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate everyones feed back. I did not have any notice what so ever. I keep my Jeep in excellent condition and do not abuse it. I always check the under carriage at least once a month (and yes I did check it that day) and it had no grease or vibrations the day this occurred. The boots where sealed and everything looked great. Even the boot around the splines is in excellent condition and the splines show no wear at all. I have had off road vehicles for over 25 years and never seen anything like this lifted or not. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Man thats crazy glad your Ok.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Crazy...Glad your ok. From what I understand once you lift your jeep Chrysler can flag your vehicle as modified and void your warranty anyway... Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I'm not real experienced with lifts but I would bet its the lift that caused it like some others have said.

Post on the wanted section? I bet someone would be happy to hook you up with some parts since your in a bind. Just a thought. Hope you get it worked out.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree that with a 4" lift the DS was most likely at an angle that subjected the pivot points to extreme stress, and as you posted, exploded".
I can see why the dealership took no responsibility, and am surprised that Chrysler would even dream about coming to your rescue.
I have a 94 XJ and have had a 6" lift with 33's for the past 14 years. Even with custom DS's and a slipyoke eliminator, my DS is at an extreme angle, and I've only gone through one set of universals, but I could tell when they were starting to go prior to anything catostrophic, and replaced.
Sorry to say, I guess the joints just fatigued and went boom on yours.
What about your insurance company. Have you tried to file a claim?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I empathize with your plight.

But how are you at all surprised when your stock driveshaft goes after a 4 inch lift?

With a four inch lift you should tilt your diff and put a double cardan on the other end.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Exploded and My EVAP Canister Caught on Fire