Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drivers side Rear power door lock will not work. Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side Rear power door lock will not work. Any suggestions?

So this morning as I was taking my son to day care I hit the unlock button on the remote only to find out that the power lock on the rear drivers side door would not open. Had to reach in manually to let my little guy in. Obviously this is not a major issue but something that I want to fix ASAP as it is a pain in the ass every time I get in and out to have to open that one door to lock it manually.

So it doesn't unlock or lock with the remote or switch. Another strange thing that I noticed is that when I got home tonight I hit the lock button which locked everything but that one door. Now I know that once I press lock on the remote if I were to open any doors on the vehicle without pressing unlock first the lights flash and horn honks (sort of like an alarm). So I get out press lock then open the door that doesn't lock no lights no horn. I've already done a quick visual inspection to make sure the doors wiring harness is plugged in. My next move is to remove the cloth that covers the wires on that door to inspect the wires for damage perhaps 100k miles and slot of opening and closing of the door the wire may have broken or something.

Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions? Obviously dealer is not an option with 100k on the clock besides it has been my experience that dealer mechanic arent really good at diagnostics they just like to change parts till they get it right.

Thanks
Lou
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When u take the doors off of the Jeep u have to undo the cable that attaches the door electronics to the jeep power harness in the base of the b-pillar. The b-pillar is the metal that connects the top of the jeep to the floor of the jeep on each side of the jeep between the front and rear doors. The plug that connects the two in the door pillar prolly is coming apart. There is an access panel u just pull off at the base of the b-pillar with the front seats pushed all the way to front of jeep and the cable connection is in that area so just follow the black braided cable/door strap from the door to the inside of the pillar and u will find the connector in there. Just push the canle connectors into each other firmly to make sure it is connected tightly.

Dont eyeball it. Disconnect it and then connect it back.

If that dont fix it then pull the negative battery cable end off for 10 min and then put back on battery-this reboots the cpu and may be the fix

Last edited by Earth Siege; 01-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker
When u take the doors off of the Jeep u have to undo the cable that attaches the door electronics to the jeep power harness in the base of the b-pillar. The b-pillar is the metal that connects the top of the jeep to the floor of the jeep on each side of the jeep between the front and rear doors. The plug that connects the two in the door pillar prolly is coming apart. There is an access panel u just pull off at the base of the b-pillar with the front seats pushed all the way to front of jeep and the cable connection is in that area so just follow the black braided cable/door strap from the door to the inside of the pillar and u will find the connector in there. Just push the canle connectors into each other firmly to make sure it is connected tightly.

If that dont fix it then pull the negative battery cable end off for 10 min and then put back on battery-this reboots the cpu and may be the fix
Thanks I'll give that a shot in the morning, that was my first guess but I was in a hurry this morning basically just popped off the panel made sure the harness was connected then closed it back up. Will get into it in the morning thanks I'll report back good or bad
Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Quick question

Did you check the mechanical connection to the lock? We had a similar problem on my wife's Sequoia. It turned out to be a real simple thing. There was a little clamp (kinda like a lock washer) that held attached to the lock actuator that had come off. I haven't taken apart a jeep door to know if it is similar, but the symptoms were exactly the same. Needed the key to lock and unlock the driver's door, but the remote electronics worked fine for all the other doors.

Good Luck. Please let us know what you find.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker

X2 that should fix your problem, but as stated in the post take it apart , then reconnect it.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jdk
X2 that should fix your problem, but as stated in the post take it apart , then reconnect it.
so, what happened??
Old 01-04-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm wondering what you found as I have the same issue.

Quick Reply: Drivers side Rear power door lock will not work. Any suggestions?