Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drivers Side Rear Brake Seized - Fixed Now

Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Side Rear Brake Seized - Fixed Now

There are some older posts on the forum about this...I wanted to resurrect the topic to keep everyone informed in case this happens to you.

I have 2008 with 59k on the odometer. A couple of weeks ago I smelled a burning smell while driving for several minutes. Nothing was wrong under the hood so I went on my way assuming it was from another vehicle and it finally went away. This past weekend we were on the road in stop and go traffic and I heard a clicking sound coming from the rear drivers side. Pulled over, checked it out and could find nothing. Several minutes later decided we'd better head back home to try and figure things out.

About 2 miles from home started smelling a burning smell really bad. parked and my wife was first out looking and said there was smoke coming out of the back drivers side tire area. Rim was so hot I could not touch it and sure enough...brakes were smoking bad and the amount of heat coming from the area was pretty fierce. I let it cool down for a few before my neighbor and I jacked it up.

Pulled the tire (which was still very hot...could not even hold the lug nuts without a towel). Rotor was warped and the caliper was sized tight. Further inspection showed that the parking brake shows were almost completely wore out.
Attachment 464347 Attachment 464348

Checked the passenger side as well and the brake/rotor was pretty worn. Parking brake shoes were gone on that side too. We decided I might as well do a complete rear brake overhaul and get everything up to snuff. Here's what the removed calipers and parking brake shoes looked like.
Attachment 464349

Reinstalling the shoes for the parking brake was a total mess/took a while to figure out.
Attachment 464352

Here's my nice new rotor and caliper on the drivers side.
Attachment 464354

Once that was done, the rest of it went like clockwork. It was with it to me to go all in and replace both calipers considering the rough condition they were in (even the one that was not seized) for $48.99/each...break shoes were high at $55.49...parking brake springs/etc kit at $36.79...2 rotors at $38.99 each and ceramic pads at #37.98. With tax and core charge refunds grand total was around $325 plus ~4 hours of time with my neighbor helping.

Very thankful to have a helpful neighbor!! Treated him to lunch and now I owe him a trip off roading!!

Glad the issue is fixed and technically did not need to replace the passenger side caliper, but at the end of the day, it's all done and should be trouble free for many miles to come.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

My right rear caliper seized also. Noticed when I did a rear break job, caliper would not compress. The dust boot was torn allowing dirt to get in. Not
Sure if it was like that from the factory or if I did it in the mud or dirt.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

From what I searched on the internet and the forum, seems like it happens often enough only on the drivers side rear. Definitely odd - I wheel quite a bit but my boot in the caliper was complete...no tears.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

I just had my right front caliper go bad. Didn't completely seize up, but was sticking intermittently. (Mine is also an '08 with about 54k miles)

Ended up doing the same as you - replaced everything up front...pads, rotors, both calipers, and the hoses.

Not sure if I needed to do all of that, but it's peace of mind knowing that it's all new.

With the luck I've had with this thing so far, one of the rear calipers will go next week.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rainmn
I just had my right front caliper go bad. Didn't completely seize up, but was sticking intermittently. (Mine is also an '08 with about 54k miles)

Ended up doing the same as you - replaced everything up front...pads, rotors, both calipers, and the hoses.

Not sure if I needed to do all of that, but it's peace of mind knowing that it's all new.

With the luck I've had with this thing so far, one of the rear calipers will go next week.
LOL - hope nothing else goes wrong for you for a while!!!!

I agree - peace of mind to do it all and know it's done right.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rainmn

Ok, so it took a little longer than a week, but my right rear is now sticking. Was burning up when I pulled into my garage yesterday.

What a POS this thing is.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

That sucks - if you replace the parking brake shoes, fair warning...the springs are a b!*ch. Mine were almost completely worn out which I could not understand since I hardly ever use it.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Rear Brake Seized - Fixed Now