Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drivers side heat :(

Old 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side heat :(

So, not sure how long it has been doing this, as I live in Florida and it is just now getting 50's, but that cold for us. My vents on the passenger side aren't as hot as they were when I first got the vehicle, but still hot, whereas the heat on the driver's side, well is freezing cold. So my first instinct was to check the blend door, works fine, full-motion no problems. Next, flush the heater core, still nothing. Then I burped the coolant system, still freezing. I have run out of things I know to do myself. Any ideas as to what I can try next before the dealership gets to take a look and I break the bank??? Don't want to and not financially capable of spending a fortune at a dealership. Praying I wont have to have a heater core replaced.

edit, only thing i have left to try is burping one more time as i didn’t let it run for 20 minutes and still saw bubbles when i stopped

Last edited by Str8American; 02-05-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

If you are willing, this is a much cheeper/faster alternate method for swapping the heater core. I did mine over a year ago, and it is still good, just make sure you buy appropriately sized spring clamps, as regular hose clamps will leak.

Happy Jeeping!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...0-mins-336039/
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the members here did a video on flushing out the heater core recently. You can check it here.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...7/#post4352637

Try to get his opinion as well hey @Dirt Hammer , see original post.
I believe he has dealt with several issues regarding heating.
The following users liked this post:
Dirt Hammer (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8American
So, not sure how long it has been doing this, as I live in Florida and it is just now getting 50's, but that cold for us. My vents on the passenger side aren't as hot as they were when I first got the vehicle, but still hot, whereas the heat on the driver's side, well is freezing cold. So my first instinct was to check the blend door, works fine, full-motion no problems. Next, flush the heater core, still nothing. Then I burped the coolant system, still freezing. I have run out of things I know to do myself. Any ideas as to what I can try next before the dealership gets to take a look and I break the bank??? Don't want to and not financially capable of spending a fortune at a dealership. Praying I wont have to have a heater core replaced.

edit, only thing i have left to try is burping one more time as i didn’t let it run for 20 minutes and still saw bubbles when i stopped
Is you Jeep coming up to proper operating temp? Low coolant level will cause this issue as well as you are already working toward getting the coolant level topped off. When you flushed the heater core did you back flush it? how well did the water flow through it? Any debris?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirt Hammer
Is you Jeep coming up to proper operating temp? Low coolant level will cause this issue as well as you are already working toward getting the coolant level topped off. When you flushed the heater core did you back flush it? how well did the water flow through it? Any debris?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3cY-hF6Zw
Yes my vehicle is coming to proper temp. I have had a code previously that said it was taking too long to reach that temp, but deleted it, and it hasn’t come back. I reverse flushed it I believe, put the hose pushing water through on the right side pipe, it seemed to flow through fine. There was a little debris but not too much. Still haven’t gotten around to burping could that be the main issue? and if so could someone give a quick rundown on how that’s done. Do i put the funnel in the where the radiator cap is and just let it run till no more air bubbles come out?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8American
Yes my vehicle is coming to proper temp. I have had a code previously that said it was taking too long to reach that temp, but deleted it, and it hasn’t come back. I reverse flushed it I believe, put the hose pushing water through on the right side pipe, it seemed to flow through fine. There was a little debris but not too much. Still haven’t gotten around to burping could that be the main issue? and if so could someone give a quick rundown on how that’s done. Do i put the funnel in the where the radiator cap is and just let it run till no more air bubbles come out?
The vehicle not coming up to proper temp is typically a sign that the thermostat needs to be replaced which could very well be your problem. I would start there.

Low coolant is another possibility but I have my doubts based on you already back flushing and refill. However, the easiest way to ensure that the system is fully burbed (ie air is completely out of the system), is to place a jack under the axle on the passenger side and raise it to ensure the mouth of the radiator is the highest point of the cooling system. Air always travels towards the highest point of the system, so you're essentially using physics to help. Then squeeze all the rad hoses to help push the air out and continually add coolant until completely full. Be sure to also fill the overflow bottle to the max line as well. The system will self burb any remainder of air as long as you got the overflow tank filled.

Then if that still doesn't get your heat back, then you likely need to replace the heater core. Sometimes back flushing is successful, but often it is not because the HC is clogged with casting sand where no amount of back flushing is going to push it out. The fact that there is a continuous flow while performing a back flush, unfortunately does not indicate the HC is not clogged. I observed that as well when my HC was clogged. Essentially, the coolant goes in one pipe of the HC and flows back out the other, but what it's not doing is flowing through all the narrow passages inside of the HC which is what allows heat to be evenly distributed across the entire HC to produce hot air when the heater fan blows across it.

Quick Reply: Drivers side heat :(