Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driver Side - Seat Rattle/Thump

Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side - Seat Rattle/Thump

Hello,

Before I go knocking on my dealers door and go without a Jeep for several days while they try to "replicate" the problem, I wanted to know if anyone else has this problem and had it replaced/fixed.

I found similar threads about the driver side seat thumping, but not sure if mine is the same. While driving and hitting a more drastic pitch/roll change in the road (like an intersection, driveway, etc.) the seat will thump loud and strong enough to feel it through your body. It seemed to be getting slightly worse over the last 6 months but kind of leveled off recently.

The best way I can think of to describe it is if you had a warped sheet of metal and bent it just enough to "snap" over to the other side, then when letting it go it snaps back. I can only slightly replicate it by really yanking the seat sideways.

Seat elevation or position has no effect on the noise. All bolts are tight.

Dealer time, or just chalk it up to another noise like the door rattle?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try to loosen the bolts and adjust how the seat sits on the floor. The seat tracks might be twisted a bit.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hehe... well i tried and i tried and i tried, but i could not get one single bolt off.

I had relocated my passenger side seatbelt to the floor to help with people getting in the back, and remember that bolt being a pain in the a**, but these are a whole new ball game.

I even stuck a 2 foot pipe on the end of my wrench and couldnt get the bolt to budge. I took my impact wrench to it also and that didnt move it...

I'll just take it to the dealer and hope they rip it out... then i'll get a new seat
Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

If the seat isn't loose, it may not be coming from the seat. Reach up behind you and check your hardtop securing "black handled" bolt/screws. Mine will work themselves loose sometimes and rattle around above my head.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nah, this is from the seat, or behind it.

I'll have to get my camera out and record the sound. Should be loud enough to pick up.

The best i can describe it is if you lightly squeeze a soda can to get it to pop in and out... but much deeper sounding.

I'm beginning to think it is the floor boards honestly the more i listen to it.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I believe it's ........................ dealer time.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my seat base replaced due to a thump that felt like a kid sitting behind you kicking your seat as i went around corners.

PS i'm Right Hand Drive
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

I have the same problem. Its driving me NUTS. It tends to happen when I go over a tiny bumper but not a bigger one?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I have the same problem. Its driving me NUTS. It tends to happen when I go over a tiny bumper but not a bigger one?
I have same exact problem, only at low speeds. It also makes a noise if I tap brakes at low speeds or accelerate quickly. I have a 2011 with 1000 miles so I brought it to dealer yesterday. They claim it's the swaybar disconnect. They also claim that you cannot just get components, but rather just replace the entire swaybar disco. I don't think this is the problem because I also hear it more towards the middle of the car right behind or under my seat. Waiting for part to arrive...I'll let u know if it solves the problem.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bcousy14
I have same exact problem, only at low speeds. It also makes a noise if I tap brakes at low speeds or accelerate quickly. I have a 2011 with 1000 miles so I brought it to dealer yesterday. They claim it's the swaybar disconnect. They also claim that you cannot just get components, but rather just replace the entire swaybar disco. I don't think this is the problem because I also hear it more towards the middle of the car right behind or under my seat. Waiting for part to arrive...I'll let u know if it solves the problem.
3 things to check before the dealer buggers it.

1- Door latches. Just cover the striker bar with a bit of insulating tape and see if it disappears.
2- The roll bar to windshield frame bolts. They are located under the plastic trim near your sun visors in the corner. Loosen them spray some grease in there and re tighten.
3- the covers that you remover in order to fold the windshield down. Remove covers and put scuff tape on all contact points. (this one had me for ages till i found it!)

Try these out to see if it helps. If not they are big rattles i hunted down a while ago so you'll just be stopping them before they start.

**PS my seat still feels like a kid kicking it when i go around corners, no amount of monkying around at the dealer has fixed this to date :(

Quick Reply: Driver Side - Seat Rattle/Thump