Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driver rear caliper issue.....

Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver rear caliper issue.....

Went to dinner with my wife and when it came time to go home I can't back out. Driver rear wheel is locking. Popped the tire off to find the caliper locked solid and a missing upper caliper bracket bolt. Wtf? Last time I had the caliper off was about 12K miles ago when I did gears and I religously torqued it to spec.... Anyone ever run into something similar? Anything in particular to look for? Still waiting for tow back to my garage trying to plan plan of attack... Btw 2012 jku.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I have heard several stories of this happening, I think the rear calipers are just junk.

Had my driver rear lock up on me about 2 years ago. Thought to be just a bad caliper. Replaced the rear pads on both sides and the sticking caliper. 9 months later it locked up again. This time bad enough to discolor the rotor and melt the back of my wheel's plastic center cap. Replaced the rotor, pads, stuck caliper, and both rear brake lines (flexible rubber section, replaced with braided steel). Haven't had the problem again. Yet.

One piece of advice, it to buy new MOPAR caliper, it is only like $20-$30 more than the ones you get at O'reilly's, but the quality is better. Don't buy it from a dealer, I think I got mine from 4wheel parts or quadratec.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rear caliper adapter bolts are torqued to 55 ft/lbs and the rear caliper adapter mounting bolts are torqued to 26 ft/lbs. You might want to recheck the torque for the passenger rear caliper bolts.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

And use red loctite.

Quick Reply: Driver rear caliper issue.....