Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drive shaft grinding

Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft grinding

Well I was just routinely checking underneath my jeep this morning and I noticed a slight issue...
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	324576

This is at the transfer case going to my front axle.

Can I still drive with it as long as I do not use my four wheel drive?
Also any suggestions what might be causing this? To me it appears that the shaft is not lined up correctly with the transfer case

Any input would be appreciated...
Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

The front driveshaft spins all the time, not using four wheel drive will just reduce the load on the joint. If it is making noise I would start shopping around for a replacement front driveshaft.
You could either try and find a stock replacement cheap or just upgrade to an aftermarket CV style shaft. There are alot of opinions as to how makes the better shafts and others will chime in on that but basically make sure it has quality spicer u-joints...not the cheap chinese ones.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your shaft is grinding, then it's shot and needs to be removed ASAP. If it seizes while you're driving, you'll be replacing a lot more than just the shaft. Pulling it is easy. There's a write-up about replacing your front driveshaft. It will explain how to remove the OEM shaft.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

What kind (size) of lift do you have?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joe002
What kind (size) of lift do you have?
It's a two inch lift by rancho.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dcharge74
If your shaft is grinding, then it's shot and needs to be removed ASAP. If it seizes while you're driving, you'll be replacing a lot more than just the shaft. Pulling it is easy. There's a write-up about replacing your front driveshaft. It will explain how to remove the OEM shaft.
Thanks I will look it up.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robarham
It's a two inch lift by rancho.
Usually a 2" lift isn't enough to mess up the joints, but yours is spitting grease which isn't good. As dcharge74 said you should pull the shaft and check it out- you can still drive it in 2wd.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did ordered my new coast the other day. 449 shipped from Northridge. I just took my front shaft out until my new one comes in. The easiest was to remove it is with about 3 one foot extensions, an 8mm socket and an impact gun. You can hit two bolts at a time on the drivers side. Take two out, back up a hair, rinse lather repeat. The one on the axle end were a mother effer but with some testicular fortitude and luck you can pop it off. I think the whole ing took me 15 mins and a beer

Quick Reply: Drive shaft grinding