Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drilled and Slotted Brakes

Old 12-14-2012 | 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PGT
not outwards, but yes, the radiate from the holes. One thing to keep in mind here....drilled rotors introduce a weakness. Porsche (and others) don't drill their "cross drilled" rotors...they cast them in place.

failed rotor:

Attachment 397640

Yes, you are correct and cast rotors also do crack, they just generally last longer than 'drilled' rotors. Porsche has specs for this, that any crack greater than 7mm in length or is near the edge of the rotor and it is toast.
Cracking generally is an issue that occurs under extreme use, such as hard racing conditions which most of our trail and road machines will not see.
You can also get rotors that have been cryogenically treated which is supposed to increase their durability and longevity.

Personally to me if you live in a flat area where you are not potentially overheating your rotors up stopping a heavy rig, then go with stock replacement, probaly cheaper in the long run. If you live in a mountainous area and are frequently stopping or using brakes alot on downhill descents where they can heat up stopping a heavy rig on oversized tires, then give it a try.
In my experience, it does help with brake fade and so far have had no issues with longevity.

Last edited by Bonedoc; 12-14-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2012 | 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

DBA Disc Brakes Australia is what I plan to use when the time comes, the slotted ones (T3) seem to do well.
Old 12-15-2012 | 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Default Slotted Brakes

Originally Posted by markbento
Just thinking, has anyone put drilled and slotted brake rotors on there jeep? I f so how do you like them and how are they off road? I have them on my TL acura, and find them to be very good at stopping the car, faster than factory ones.
But would have no idea as to if the would be any good on my 2012 JK unlimited.

Thanks
Mark
Mark,
I know of one lady that did that, oversized rotors and six piston calipers, bigger wheels and tires. She says she has better stopping power.
They look good, but she doesn't off road...should work very well though.

Quick Reply: Drilled and Slotted Brakes