Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The dreaded "Ding"

Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that ding so many times I don't pay any attention to it any more. At first I thought it was throwing some code after checking a dozen times and finding nothing I just figure it some more Chrysler quality built into the Jeep.

I also have the aeroforce gauage and it was dinging long before I installed that so in my case its not the cause.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Are you using the CB, maybe you are getting RFI Ingress to the ESP/BAS system. I am having this problem on my JK with my ham radio at anything above 30 watts.

Others are experienceing the same RFI Ingress problem with my exact symptoms. Dings, go off but usually my sway bar disconnect blinks or the ESP/BAS warning gets lit on the dash.

So low power broadcasting I just get dings, higher power above 30watts also sets lights. Just a thought.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afoulk
Was out in a local state game lands today, puttin along in low range on some of their trails, and every once in awhile, I would get a "ding", but no lights. I know this normally occurs when the transmission overheats, but my tranny temp never seemed to go above 215* (yes, I know, I need a cooler) according to my Aerotech scan gauge. I also used it to check for the overheating code, and there were no stored codes. My temp. never dropped below 192* until we hit the open road on the way home. Will it do this if you sustain a high temp for to long? Or could it be something with the ESP since it automatically switches off for the most part when you put it in low range? I can't recall if it did it only in low or in high also. I lost track of how many times it did it after 6.
I didn't read all the responses, so maybe this has been said already. However, if you have your aerotech gauge set to scan too frequently, it can cause a random ding. Try changing the setting. I don't recall off hand if 1 is most frequent or 6 is, but try turning it down and see if it still happens.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've experienced this same "ding" , its happened a handful of times mostly off road, dont get any lights, my seatbelt alarm is disabled, my tpms are out and ding 4 times upon ignition, oil changes up to date, cant figure out what its for but everything works fine and no codes? its still a mystery hope someone can figure it out, but unless something stops working or making a noise im not going to worry about it....if it was that important it would have a light too, right? lol.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

This may have already been suggested as well. Have you actually checked all of your fluids?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was out riding with my nephew yesterday. He was driving my wrangler and I kept hearing the beep too!! I finally said something about wish I could figure out what was causing that BEEP.

My nephew started laughing............the beep was his cell phone recieving text messages...LOL.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't know, but I was getting the mysterious ding before I got the AeroForce gauge.
I still get it once in a while. Not nearly as often, though.
I noticed on the Aeroforce site that someone said they started getting the ding when they installed the gauge. Todd could only suggest to slow down the data rate. When the person slowed it down to 6 he said it made it almost go away. Todd said he hasn't see this issue on anything other than the Wrangler, so I guess it's maybe just a little annoyance with the combination of the gauge and our Jeep?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing up this old thread. I noticed that now I have this "ding" when crawling around in 4low (6spd), I had it go off maybe 6-7 times yesturday, also this was the first time wheeling with my ODBII hooked up to my Jeeputer. I may check the data speed of the port, maybe this is the same issue. The ESP light did flash during the ding, has anyone gotten rid of this by changing the data speed?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Quentin_T
Bringing up this old thread. I noticed that now I have this "ding" when crawling around in 4low (6spd), I had it go off maybe 6-7 times yesturday, also this was the first time wheeling with my ODBII hooked up to my Jeeputer. I may check the data speed of the port, maybe this is the same issue. The ESP light did flash during the ding, has anyone gotten rid of this by changing the data speed?
I changed the data speed to the lowest speed, and I still get the ding. I didn't notice any flashing lights. I mentioned the issue to Todd, he indicated that there isn't anything to change...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Had the ding happen yesterday with the doors open and on the my dash display it said "ESP OFF". Not sure why its dinging while I am in park. Crazy system

Quick Reply: The dreaded "Ding"