Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The dreaded "Ding"

Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Here is a possible source of the "Mystery Ding" we have heard:

ANTILOCK BRAKES
The ABS brake system performs several self-tests every time the ignition switch is turned on and the vehicle is driven. The CAB monitors the system's input and output circuits to verify the system is operating correctly. If the on board diagnostic system senses that a circuit is malfunctioning the system will set a trouble code in its memory.

NOTE: An audible noise may be heard during the self-test. This noise should be considered normal.

The audible noise may be the mystery ding.
I have heard it at varying times after starting and driving. Could be random testing.
And it says MAY be heard, implying it doesn't always create the noise.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've yet to experience the ding (fortunately), but it's nice to know that it may be a normal function.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluv
I've had this happen to me once while climbing slowly in 4lo. One ding while engine was running, no lights, has not happened since. The error code was P0018 but I haven't been able to find what this stands for.
P0018 is not listed in the FSM cd.
However, a google search shows it means the same thing as P0016 in our FSM cd.

"This Definition of P0018 is Applied to All Manufacturers Powertrain: Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor A"
Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that the ESP light flashes very quick when I get the mystery ding. You gotta be looking at the light when the ding happens - quite by chance to see it!

I have an Aeroforce gauge so I pulled up the steering angle readout. It showed the wheel was just slightly to the left when I'm going down a straight stretch of the road, though the wheel looked pretty much dead-on. I adjusted the steering linkage about 1/4 turn. The steering angle now reads closer to zero on straight roads, and haven't heard a ding yet.

Here's a tech article that might help:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
I noticed that the ESP light flashes very quick when I get the mystery ding. You gotta be looking at the light when the ding happens - quite by chance to see it!

I have an Aeroforce gauge so I pulled up the steering angle readout. It showed the wheel was just slightly to the left when I'm going down a straight stretch of the road, though the wheel looked pretty much dead-on. I adjusted the steering linkage about 1/4 turn. The steering angle now reads closer to zero on straight roads, and haven't heard a ding yet.

Here's a tech article that might help:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
One time I heard the ding, I looked at the cluster just in time to see a light fading out in the area of the ESP light, but I couldn't say for sure what light it was. Definitely a possibility.
I have not seen a light at all since that time.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a random ding also. May occur once or twice when I'm driving on road. I have an Inteceptor gauge so I know it's not the trans temp. I was searching for random ding and found this thread. If it is the ESP I wondering if turning it off will silence the ding. I also wonder if there is something wrong with the ESP that could be causing it. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDakota
I have a random ding also. May occur once or twice when I'm driving on road. I have an Inteceptor gauge so I know it's not the trans temp. I was searching for random ding and found this thread. If it is the ESP I wondering if turning it off will silence the ding. I also wonder if there is something wrong with the ESP that could be causing it. Anyone have any thoughts?
I did the lucky scan and saw the ESP light flash (extremely quickly) when the ding happened. Turning off the ESP seams to help. I've adjusted the steering wheel, toe-in, and any other suggestion to get rid of the ding. I've decided just to live with it. It's a little like that "Keep Alert" beep my old radar detector used to do - a random noise just to make sure you aren't sleeping at the wheel.

DING! What was that?

DING! Crap. It did it again.

DING! It's been almost an hour since last time. Good thing it went off. I was almost dozed off and drove in the ditch!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone solve their random ding? I know there are many ways you can get the ding, but I noticed a lot of posters in this thread have the AeroForce Gauge. Is it possible that the Gauge is overloading the bus and randomly causing the ding?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by joe002
Anyone solve their random ding? I know there are many ways you can get the ding, but I noticed a lot of posters in this thread have the AeroForce Gauge. Is it possible that the Gauge is overloading the bus and randomly causing the ding?
I don't know, but I was getting the mysterious ding before I got the AeroForce gauge.
I still get it once in a while. Not nearly as often, though.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't know, but I was getting the mysterious ding before I got the AeroForce gauge.
I still get it once in a while. Not nearly as often, though.
My dad has a 07 Rubi and also gets the mystery ding but it is only when he is pushing it in really deep snow (2-3 feet) and working the tranny hard, he has an auto with 37's also.
I have a manual and have never had the ding but if I remember right I think I did have it once in my 2007 auto.

Has anyone had the ding that has a manual?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was also getting the random ding before the gauage. I was also getting the ding before I installed my Teraflex levelling kit.

Quick Reply: The dreaded "Ding"