Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The dreaded "Ding"

Old 08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded "Ding"

Was out in a local state game lands today, puttin along in low range on some of their trails, and every once in awhile, I would get a "ding", but no lights. I know this normally occurs when the transmission overheats, but my tranny temp never seemed to go above 215* (yes, I know, I need a cooler) according to my Aerotech scan gauge. I also used it to check for the overheating code, and there were no stored codes. My temp. never dropped below 192* until we hit the open road on the way home. Will it do this if you sustain a high temp for to long? Or could it be something with the ESP since it automatically switches off for the most part when you put it in low range? I can't recall if it did it only in low or in high also. I lost track of how many times it did it after 6.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

if you are in 4lo, it will ding every time the engine is turned on to warn you that the esp is off. this doesn't sound like what you're talking about though cause you said it happened after being in the jeep for awhile? and kept dinging? the 4lo ding is only oncce and only when you first start it up.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I know, I've noticed that before, but this was randomly,while driving down the trail.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Pull the codes and see what comes up. If you had any kind of a problem it should throw a code. See the following thread for instructions on how to pull the codes and what they mean.

Diagnostic codes

If no error codes...
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a aeroforce scangauge that I can check codes with, and I get nothing with that. I even tryed the key thing, and didn't get anything that way either. It did it for me again today putting along on some dirt roads, and this time it even did it in 2wd.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i see in your sig that you have the limited slip differential, maybe that could be it kicking in? idk what else it could be
Old 09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
i see in your sig that you have the limited slip differential, maybe that could be it kicking in? idk what else it could be
There is no "digital" indication of the LSD working. You may be thinking of a locker.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulk
I have a aeroforce scangauge that I can check codes with, and I get nothing with that. I even tryed the key thing, and didn't get anything that way either. It did it for me again today putting along on some dirt roads, and this time it even did it in 2wd.
Try to get into the habit of looking at the warning light panel when you hear the ding.
I look as fast as I can and have only seen a hint of a light going out in the lower left of the warning light area.
One of these time I will catch a good look at it.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't see a light, but I'll keep an eye out for it. So far, the only common factor, every time it does it, my tranny temp. is above 190*. I'm hopeing to install my tranny cooler in the next week or 2 and then see if the dinging goes away after that. But I'll see if it does it anymore until then and see if any lights come on.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the ding again yesterday. Just ran down the street to the store to get stuff to make burgers, and when I pulled back out of the parking lot, it dinged once, and that was it. Ofcourse I wasn't looking at the gauge cluster when it did it again, so I don't know if a light came on or not. Tranny temp was barely over 100. But, I did have my bag full of stuff on the passenger seat. There isn't a sensor in the passenger seat to sense weight like when someone is sitting in it is there? No that I think about it, the only times I've heard the ding is when my gf was riding shotgun, and she has this thing about not wearing her seatbelt. I wonder if thats something to do with it.

Quick Reply: The dreaded "Ding"