Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drag link issues

Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag link issues

I'm new here and new to the jeep world as a whole. I bought my 07 jku Sahara a month ago... A few days later I began to get death wobble. Had a shop check out the front end and they said it was fine... I continued to get death wobble and decided to check it out myself. I found a video on YouTube. Don't have the link. But he explained how to check it by having somebody cycling the wheel while your underneath feeling each component for popping and wear. My drag link was bad. I replaced it with a moog drag link. Took it to a tire shop to have my alignment checked, packed it with grease... Everything was great. Now 2 weeks and 1000 miles later (I just moved halfway across the country) I have a loud popping when I turn that sounds like a ball joint. I get back under to check and it's my drag link AGAIN! I don't have a really bad wobble this time, every now and again I hit a bump and the wheel pulls a little more than usual. What else should I be checking out. I plan on replacing the drag link and stabilizer this weekend. I know the stabilizer just masks the problem but it's shot anyway
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

I would also take a look at the front axle u-joints. I just had to replace mine on my '09 JK with about 85k miles. The drivers side was bad. It was never greased well enough when the axle was assembled. I replaced those u-joints and the drag link and the complete tie rod assembly along with a new stabilizer. I got the napa premium parts, as they are made in the USA and are all greasable. The drag link and tie rod assembly fixed the death wobble, and the u-joints fixed the jerking in the steering wheel when turning. My drag link and tie rod would flop up and down very easily, but you could not detect play in it when holding the tire and shaking from side to side. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use loctite on the drag link nut? It is a tapered hole and the nut can back off if you don't use loctite. That would cause premature wear.

Ball joints are known to go bad and are often a cause of DW.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Didn't use locktite, the nut uses a cotter pin to keep it from backing off. Put a new one on the other day. Maybe I just got a bad part
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

These may be the videos to which you refer. Regardless, this is a good place to start. And if you've had significant instances of DW, forget the idea that you're looking for one part that caused it. Each incident of DW damages more and more parts. You need to get all of the damaged components fixed. So, stop thinking that you found the part that's causing it. If that was the case (such as BJs, steering stabilizer, etc), you could take that bad part and put it on a perfectly good JK and that perfectly good JK would now suffer DW. It doesn't happen like that. Not at all ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

Quick Reply: Drag link issues