Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

door surrounds

Old 02-27-2020, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default door surrounds

Can someone school me on Door surrounds? I'm new to Jeeps, and have a 2013 Sahara Unlimited. When we bought the jeep, the dealership installed a new Rough Country top, which I know is the probably the cheapest one out there. The wife likes the looks of the TrekTop NX Glide, so we will probably be getting one soon. I've seen a few people talk about replacing the door surrounds when doing a new top, is it necessary and whats the reasoning.

Will new door surrounds help with keeping the top sealed, not leak?
Will they help with air noise?
whats the best brand to get, I see best top makes them, and a few other brands outside of OEM.

thanks

Old 02-27-2020, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you buy a new TrekTop NX it should come with the surrounds and the required hardware.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ghost JK
If you buy a new TrekTop NX it should come with the surrounds and the required hardware.
Good to know.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost JK
+1, and if you sell your current top, you sell all the corresponding hardware with it. When buying soft tops, it's less important what year they came from and more important that the tops come with all the corresponding hardware as tops, especially factory tops, changed over the years. Enjoy that jeep!
Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
+1, and if you sell your current top, you sell all the corresponding hardware with it. When buying soft tops, it's less important what year they came from and more important that the tops come with all the corresponding hardware as tops, especially factory tops, changed over the years. Enjoy that jeep!
Thanks.

when installing the new top is it worth it to replace weather stripping while your at it? If so which ones would you replace?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I have a 2013 as well. My jeep is topless most the time and I live in TX so it soaks up a decent amount of UV rays. My weather stripping is still in good shape, so I'd imagine yours is ok unless it's been mistreated. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a leak issue.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

No, there's more work to replacing the windshield strip than you'd think. I bought it because mine is deformed and in need of replacement. I talked to the kid who does them for the dealership and he recommended a thorough clean followed by 3m prep wipes, start in the middle and work your way out, then apply the mini rivets at the ends. I was going to do it but now I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can take my time. They charge $120 to do it so I figure about 2 hours.

Quick Reply: door surrounds