Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Panel Knee Pain!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel Knee Pain!

OK, I tried to find someone who is experiencing the same issue, but was unable. I have a 08-JKU and have found that the storage compartment in the drivers side door panel hits my knee cap repeatedly upon exiting the vehicle. My wife has found the same "joy" of the new jeep.

Has anyone had the same issue and is there any replacement options outside my own fabrication? I would like to have the ability to put crap into a door-mounted location, perhaps a bunjy option like some of the center console mod's...

Are we the only ones who bang up our right knee upon exiting?

roddog
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
No issues with the Panel, but; I have the Crank Windows and the bottom of the crank sticks my knee if I relax my leg against the door.. I am only 5'8" .. what the Hell!!
Ditto, I'm 6'2" and cannot have the window all the way down becaue of the crank. I just move it up a little so that the crank is facing the front of the Jeep, and voila! Problem solved.

For the OP's problem, try opening the door all the way before trying to get out? I'm not sure how one could correct this problem otherwise, just be more careful I suppose.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Try this one in the colorado springs craigslist. Don't know if it's a company or just a local sale.

Jeep JK cool stuff - $40
hxxp://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/2255307581.html

Are you sick of those stupid plastic map pocket on you JK door panels? Do you get your feet caught on them when you are getting in and out of your Jeep? Check out this cool metal diamond plated conversion. They can be painted any color you want, or just leave them bare metal. they are $40.00 for the pair, or for and additional $10.00, you can have them powder coated. Respond to this email for more information.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing happening to me, I now just push the seat all the way back when getting out.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

I moved from an F-250 with a bench seat to the JK. Took a liitle while to get use to the size of the cockpit. Kept bumping knees, elbows, shoulders and occasionally the noggin until I got use to the layout.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use it as a foot rest.....
Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dralphy
Ditto, I'm 6'2" and cannot have the window all the way down becaue of the crank. I just move it up a little so that the crank is facing the front of the Jeep, and voila! Problem solved.

For the OP's problem, try opening the door all the way before trying to get out? I'm not sure how one could correct this problem otherwise, just be more careful I suppose.
I had the same issue ... so I unscrewed and rotated the window crank about 50 degrees and now its out of my way full up or full down.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:04 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, I have no knee trouble but I did jump in once and hit my head on the roll bar and damn near knocked myself out. Couldn't drive for a few minutes.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by roddog
OK, I tried to find someone who is experiencing the same issue, but was unable. I have a 08-JKU and have found that the storage compartment in the drivers side door panel hits my knee cap repeatedly upon exiting the vehicle. My wife has found the same "joy" of the new jeep.

Has anyone had the same issue and is there any replacement options outside my own fabrication? I would like to have the ability to put crap into a door-mounted location, perhaps a bunjy option like some of the center console mod's...

Are we the only ones who bang up our right knee upon exiting?

roddog
Ha. I thought I was the only one experiencing this, until I read this post. I'm 6'2", mostly legs, and I repeatedly bang my knee getting out of the Jeep...right under the knee cap, where it just about cripples you. It mostly happens when I'm parked next to someone else in a lot and can't open the door all the way. Guess I've chalked it up as another one of those Jeep things. Getting tired of limping into stores though.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bout 6'4" here and don't think I have ever banged my knee while exiting but did smack my head on the rollbar A couple times during the first few days of owning the jeep

Quick Reply: Door Panel Knee Pain!